By unmarried - 04/05/2016 00:39 - Canada - Weston

Today, my fiancé received his divorce papers. Thanks to his procrastinating, his divorce is effective May 29th. We're supposed to get married on May 28th. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 381
You deserved it 5 322

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I can't feel sorry for you because you knew he was still legally married, yet you planned your own wedding to him. The smart thing would have been to wait until his divorce was final, especially since you know him and know he's a procrastinator

Can you sign the papers and stuff on the 30th but still have the ceremony on the 28th? Anyway, so sorry OP.

Comments

Hmmmmm while I feel sorry for you, why the rush on setting a date before things are final!!!!

yellowzinnias 20

Okay, you do realize that just saying your vows doesn't make you legally married, right? You'll have to file a marriage certificate to actually be married. I'm not sure how long you have in Canada, but I think in most states here it's 30 days after it's issued. Just hold off on the certificate until his divorce is final and you're good. Also, I agree with the previous comments...you knew he was married. You should've stopped all the "Say Yes to the Dress" squeal-y enthusiasm and waited.

NoConfusion 7

You can still have the civil ceremony on the 28th, you just won't be able to file the legal marriage documents until the divorce clears.

So have the wedding but don't sign the marriage liscense until he's divorced.

Fellow Ontarian, that's quite unfortunate.

bobsanction 18

So..... have the ceremony before getting the paperwork done?

That sucks. I almost screwed up my wedding day by not getting our prenup signed prior. we ended up signing it the morning of our wedding (february 29) oops. it took us 8 years to get married and 4 of those 8 years i was legally married to another man. not being able to find where he lived and having no contact with him was a big issue with it. good luck on your wedding day OP. see if they can post date it for the 30th and put off the filing a couple of days and just explain whats going on. it can't hurt to find out ahead of time. and congratulations!

have the ceremony anyway and just sign the legal documents after the divorce is finalised. Then enjoy married life!

ericanicole1 12

Not 100% on how marriage licenses work but would you be able to just file the paperwork for the 30th and just have the ceremony on the original planned date?