By Anonymous - 20/03/2014 20:23 - United States - Du Quoin

Today, I found out why my dad always treated me badly as a kid compared to my siblings. It's because I was conceived while my mom was cheating on him. On top of that, he made it clear that he still doesn't consider me a "real" part of the family. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 936
You deserved it 3 458

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's terrible. But don't worry, you are not the first person to have that happen to them.

That sucks cuz it's not even your fault.

Comments

That's terrible. But don't worry, you are not the first person to have that happen to them.

I agree, just don't worry about him and if push comes to shove give him the same treatment. I be the will change his attitude then.

Yeah, I'm sure that makes him feel so much better. "You may have been treated like shit your whole life for something you weren't the cause of, but at least you aren't the only one in the world to go through it!" As if that makes it okay somehow.

#48: you do realize that "when push comes to shove" is just an expression, and doesn't mean literal pushing and shoving...

In this instance, I think push come to done means that he can go in the lowest possible quality nursing home and be good that after all, he's not been a real parent. He should have manned up and made the choice to either leave, or stay and accept all of his children as they are. This doesn't even sound like he knows you're not his biological child.

I agree with 49! Not only have I never heard of this kind of thing happening but even if it happened to every other child in the world that doesn't change how seriously upsetting this would be. Whether you're close to your parents or not you should never be intentionally made to feel like an outsider in your own family.

I've always suspected this is why my parents treat me... Uh, differently... Than my siblings. I have no actual proof though, just some "coincidental" evidence. :/ I never have the balls to ask though... Either way, it's sucks to be treated poorly compared to your siblings, and especially for something you are unaware of or have no control over. There is no excusing parents playing favorites and emotionally/ mentally/verbally abusing a child like this. Though there is likely very little you can do to change his mind, you can get help for yourself if you need it and get past this. I've learned to forgive my parents for all their shortcomings and problems, but I still struggle with the past and present. I'm working on it though, no matter how hard it is.

Unless, ya know, it just confirms his suspicions. Either way he's a jerk for his actions!

XIceBlueX 21

"I was conceived while my mother was cheating on him" seems like a pretty good indication OP isn't his biological child...of course he doesn't have to be a jerk to OP. You don't have to be blood to be a parent.

frizz101 22

No OP could still be his biological child, most people still use protection when they cheat.

buttcramp 21

if the mom was only with one other person there is a 50/50 chance that OP's dad is really the bio dad. Still, it's really inappropriate to tell your children things like this. It's also really immature for your dad to act this way, OP. Your dad had a choice when he found out, he could have left.. he chose not to so he can't complain! Sorry for your family drama , OP.

Biological or not, the father decided to stick around and make the marriage work after finding this out. Part of that is not taking it out on the kid. I'm sure it's hard to deal with the reminder, but he either needed to get help or get out. Not emotionally abuse an innocent child.

I'm pretty sure if they didn't know who the father was OP dad would have already gotten some type of DNA test done

atrandom 11

Even if OP is his child do they really want someone like that to try and be a father after however many years?

That sucks cuz it's not even your fault.

I'm sure he must of had SOME control considering some people are hitting the YDI button? Right?

I tend to accidentally hit the ydi button on this android app sometimes.

lexiieeex3 32

NO ONE should ever be treated that way by a parent. I am so sorry OP. You don't deserve that. I would have a long conversation with both of your parents and hopefully things will change for the better. Keep your head held high and know that this is no reflection of your character whatsoever!

Trooth 13

Wow...parents should never do that, taking his anger out on you! Just ignore him and remember you're a beautiful blessing!

Wow, holy fucktard Batman. Knowing is half the battle.

746278Ab 14

That's totally wrong! It's not your fault.

ariiewilliams 17

That doesn't give him a valid reason to treat you different when you are his kid. Don't let him get you down OP!

1PersonIsMyWorld 22

parents aren't always the best people op. sometimes you have to establish your own self worth because parents dont always fulfill that duty. move out when possible and make something great of your life.

Wow. He shouldn't take that out on you. It's not your fault, just keep your head up.