By Princess - 28/05/2009 18:17 - United States

Today, my cell phone service was interrupted because I owed the company 27 cents. It cost 36 dollars to reinstate my service. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 129
You deserved it 11 260

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's kinda the problem with computers... any human would have just been like "whatever."

Comments

YDI. First thing you learn with any service (be it phone, TV or bank accounts) - pay in full and pay soon, they will fck you over royally.

YDI, pay your bills! WEWT 24th!!!!!!!111!!1!1!!!!

YDI, Sorry mate mate, but read your contract and pay your bills. Best you learn with a cellphone bill, not with a bank loan for a house. $36? A price to pay to learn an important lesson if you ask me.

Surely they would warn you at least once before just cancelling your service. And if they don't warn you, you should make extra sure you've paid your bills in full and on time.

YDI, know what owe. Know the days they bill. Your credit score must suck. lol @ #24!!!!!!111!111eleven1!!! #5 - DIAF.

deaditegirl 0

YDI. Pay your bills. It's not hard.

assholes! you make some minor error and you get screwed.

kingbeau 0

#21, a lot of phone companies charge the same amount for incoming texts as they do for sending them. They do not, however, offer much significant protection against spam text messages. The amount they charge just for outgoing texts is almost always several orders of magnitude more than it actually costs them. If that's confusing, a simple text message is fairly certainly between 1 and about 10 kb, and a relatively slow internet connection will give you 100kb/s. Lets say that they charge 15 cents for one text message, and a further 10 cents for messages outside north america. Now lets say that you spend an average of an hour in a month just loading web pages from the united states and a half hour loading webpages from elsewhere. At 100kb/s, you'd have "moved" 360,000kb from north-american sites and 180,000 from elsewhere (a ridiculously low estimate for most people), for a total monthly data transfer bill (assuming 10kb size at cell phone rates) of 9900$. Now you can say that cell phone service is magically special and that it really is that much harder to move a few kilobytes over the "airwaves" than over the good old "series of tubes" and that it really does nearly double the cost to send it overseas (or over ground to mexico), but frankly that's hardly believable to begin with and the advent of "wifi anywhere" type technologies from seemingly every company under the sun would fly in the face of it. So, long story short, cell phone companies live by ripping people off, and if they can tell a computer to shut off a guy's service for less than a cent and take him for 36$ then that's what they'll do.

I agree with #27. I would've thought they'd have warned you, or you'd be on top of that sort of thing. And honestly, $36 isn't that much. I've had to pay almost $800 just because of a misunderstanding.