By jaxattax - 20/10/2009 20:17 - United States

Today, my boyfriend gave me a fancy chocolate candy and I got angry at him for forgetting that I'm allergic to chocolate and threw the candy into the garbage disposal. Turns out, he had spent a ton of money getting a chocolatier to put an engagement ring inside the candy that I just destroyed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 552
You deserved it 82 894

Same thing different taste

Top comments

KaylaKiwified 0

I'm going to say you're incredibly stupid here, and YDI. And HDI, too. He should've remembered something like that, and maybe put it in something you aren't allergic to, like roses, or something. And why didn't you just throw it in the trash? Do you always throw things down the garbage disposal first?

But still...why would he hide the ring in something he knew you were allergic to?

Comments

In the midst of planning something big, sometimes you screw up and forget something, even something else that's big, like an allergy. You overreacted, big time.

Let's think about the situation if there hadn't been an engagement ring in it: Her boyfriend brings her food she is allergic to (when he should know this, as they have been together a long time); she is upset that he chose such a bad present (that is presumably inexpensive) so she puts it down the garbage disposal. Not a problem. I'm wondering why the boyfriend didn't have faster reflexes. Between his thoughtlessness and slowness, maybe you're better off without him :) Not really, but you probably need to have a serious talk with him. But remember, if he proposed, he probably really loves you, so at least there's that.

Everyone calling her a bitch: if someone spent a ton of money to get you something that they (should) know you couldn't have wouldn't you be pissed? It's being stupid and forgetful as well as rubbing in your face haha look at the fancy thing you can't have but I'll give you anyway. Perhaps the garbage disposal wasn't the best way but at that point it probably seemed like an appropriate response. Also, wouldn't destroying what she thought to be just chocolate be better than yelling at him? And HDI not only for forgetting but also putting a ring in chocolate- if the allergy didn't get her the metal and stone would have. Also, for the people saying she shouldn't have made him feel bad- he would have anyway if he were any kind of decent guy for forgetting in the first place. Also, maybe her reaction would make him remember in the future. And LOL at #68 and good point #78 -maybe it was already on? And #80 - for something that takes that much planning you'd think he would consider the minor details too- it's a one shot kind of thing. and if she knew then he probably did, chocolate is too common for him to have not been told. And he would be reminded every Valentines Day and Anniversary and probably dinners out too (at dessert) and even in buying groceries together Excellent point # 108 Interesting theory # 121

Rarely is anything planned perfectly. There's always so much going on that there's always that one damn thing that gets overlooked. I bet he would've rather she yelled than thrown it down the disposal. At least then, maybe they could've talked before she destroyed the ring. As for Valentine's Day and anniversaries, they've only been together 8 months. They've had 1 Valentine's at most. Anniversaries kinda depend on how they celebrate. I've been married 10 years. We both still screw up. It happens. He once gave me a birthday gift that he should've known damn well was something I wouldn't be into and it was a lot of money to blow for something I wouldn't use. But, I didn't destroy it and I didn't throw it in his face. I asked what he was thinking. I TALKED to him and then I tried to find someone else to give it to so it least it wouldn't go to waste, because unfortunately it couldn't be returned.

WitchCirce 0

How do you know the OP and her boyfriend have only been together 8 months? I call bullshit.

8 months? Where'd you come up with that? I see nothing here about how long they were together, only that their relationship is at a stage where he wanted to propose. But according to a quick google search, almost 70% of engaged couples have known each other 3 years or longer, and I remember reading somewhere that 2 years is the average length of dating before a proposal. So chances are they've been together longer than that. He almost certainly knew, and if he didn't it just goes to show he doesn't know her well enough to know if they'd be good as husband and wife. People slip up, sometimes even at very important times like planning a marriage proposal. Doesn't mean he doesn't still deserve to get bitched out for it.

tdawgheath 0

I still kind of don't get it. He still forgot that you were allergic to the chocolate. Unless he bought a specific kind that you're not allergic to...The way that method works is you eat it and find out by biting on it that it's an engagement ring, so...he still didn't know. Maybe you guys just don't know each other well enough to get married in the first place.

triplethreat13 0

A friend of mine did a research paper on the FACT that chocolate helps people, especially women, keep their sanity. Enough said.

Your friend is full of shit. Chocolate is just a mild opiate. It's a drug, not a natural hormone or neurochemical.

If he went through the whole process without registering that you're allergic to chocolate, then he's clearly a mentally deficient deadshit. Good riddance to him, and good luck finding a man who has an IQ above 80.

Ladypartslegit 0

ok so I get you were upset he forgot, but was the hissy fit really needed. couldnt you have tossed them in the trash as appossed to the disposle. ydi for overreacting

While he should have known that chocolate was not the greatest of ideas, due to you being allergic, having a fit like that is a bit much.

poke_chu 3

Well. Your hall of fame hissy was probably unexpected. He could have expected one of three outcomes. One, he wanted you to honestly find the ring and say yes. Two, he could have wanted you to eat the chocolate and go into anaphylactic shock from your allergy. Or, thirdly, he could have wanted you to choke on the ring. =) I hope for his sake it was one of the latter options. That was a psycho extreme. Good luck getting another decent proposal that was heartfelt, but clumsily wrong. ^^

noshitsherlock 0

OP, you are ******* PSYCHO and totally deserve it. Good job. So being allergic means you're batshit ******* crazy?