By jaxattax - 20/10/2009 20:17 - United States

Today, my boyfriend gave me a fancy chocolate candy and I got angry at him for forgetting that I'm allergic to chocolate and threw the candy into the garbage disposal. Turns out, he had spent a ton of money getting a chocolatier to put an engagement ring inside the candy that I just destroyed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 552
You deserved it 82 894

Same thing different taste

Top comments

KaylaKiwified 0

I'm going to say you're incredibly stupid here, and YDI. And HDI, too. He should've remembered something like that, and maybe put it in something you aren't allergic to, like roses, or something. And why didn't you just throw it in the trash? Do you always throw things down the garbage disposal first?

But still...why would he hide the ring in something he knew you were allergic to?

Comments

iliketoreadfmls 0

These YDI are not fair at all. There's a million non-chocolate things your boyfriend could have put an engagement ring in, or for that matter, he could have avoided food altogether just in case. He also could have asked your family or friends to reconfirm it'd be okay, I'm sure someone could have re-informed him you were allergic to chocolate. Even if he did forget, there's no reason for him to spend so much money on something without thinking it through. FYL

At least you aren't alergic to tacos. Also, the ring was probably extremely cheap and he did this on purpose, so he could blme you for losing such a "beautiful" ring.

Maybe thus is his sweet little way of saying "I want to see you in anaphalyctic shock"!

jdot01 0

I understand why she was upset, but did she really have to throw it in the garbage disposal? She could have just thrown it at him… In this situation that would have been a much better outcome. It was stupid of her boyfriend to bury the ring in chocolate though, lol. Aside from the allergy, wouldn't the ring smell like chocolate forever? That could get annoying.

if you get chocolate on your shirt, does it smell of chocolate forever? No. All it takes is a basic wash to get it out.

wazdog 4

I don't think she overreacted at all. In her mind, she was just throwing away some chocolate.

WitchCirce 0

This, absolutely. In her mind, she was throwing out chocolate, which she couldn't eat. She didn't know about the ring, so it's not like she knew she was throwing out a lot of money. In her mind it was a crappy-ass gift to get from someone who should have known better, and that could have potentially killed her (remember she's allergic to chocolate).

Allergic or not, you are a bitch. Unless you were so allergic that a ring that came in contact with chocolate would cause a reaction... but since you think this is an FML, that's probably not the case. Yeah, sure, he's an idiot for not remembering, but seriously you didn't have to freak the **** out so badly. Unless he does this all the time, but for some reason I don't think that's the case...

And just to repeat what others have already said, it is NOT that hard to remember what your bf/gf is allergic to. I am allergic to artificial fragrance, also a fairly unusual allergy and also one that comes up often over the course of a relationship (perfume, lotion and bath goods being as common a gift as choco). My ex was a terrible boyfriend in almost every respect, but he never forgot! And he didn't even claim to want to marry me!!

I think she's a ******* idiot. I'm not going to repeat the argument I just had with my girlfriend about this, but basically she could have been way more mature about it and just told him she was allergic, he could have had the opportunity to get the ring out anyway and propose...it would have been a cute story years down the road when they had a family together. She had to go blow it out of proportion and do that though, so now they're probably not even together anymore. I don't blame him one bit. PEOPLE FORGET THINGS! I myself have terrible memory. I might not forget something like that, but I've forgotten big things, even things that have gotten me in trouble for forgetting. Point being, it was her fault, end of story. Hope she never finds love again.

Gavik 0

If this doesn't convince all the readers that women's rights are a joke, I don't know what will.

And a virgin he will stay, with that attitude. Gavik is most likely just upset because he is the man-slave of someone with bigger balls who treats him like a woman with no rights. *sob*

iliketoreadfmls 0

Furthermore, why is it okay for him to have a poor lapse of judgment by forgetting her allergy (and spending money on it), but she's crazy for poor judgment on dealing with a gift she's allergic to?

Because her poor judgment cost him an engagement ring. His poor judgment cost her nothing. She knows she's allergic to chocolate. Obviously she didn't eat it.

iliketoreadfmls 0

He cost himself the engagement ring.

I doubt he suspected she might cram it down the disposal, though. :/ She could've done something else with it, what a waste of good chocolate... :[ Anyone who wastes chocolate = automatic bitch. :]

No, he dodged a bullet, hopefully, by finding out how nuts she is. He made an honest mistake. She was intentionally malicious. Even not knowing the ring was in there, her getting angry and destroying the gift was overkill. Even if she couldn't eat it, it might have been very beautifully and ornately decorated. Even if it hadn't contained the ring, she could've kept it as a decoration.

I don't think anybody is saying it's OKAY for him to forget the allergy, just that her reaction was disproportionate.