By Anonymous - 07/04/2014 17:43 - Canada - Ottawa

Today, in an attempt to potty train my step-son, my boyfriend and I put underwear on him, hoping that when he peed himself, he would realize using the potty is the way to go. Instead, he peed while sitting on the couch, got up, took off the underwear, and then switched seats. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 667
You deserved it 13 477

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

rocker_chick23 27

My dads girlfriend has been my step mom ever since my mom died from cancer when I was 2, I am now 23. They aren't married. Can you people comprehend boyfriend and stepson now?

I'm not sure why people are not getting this, it seems pretty straightforward to me... I think they are hung up on a technicality. Since they aren't married, she 'technically' can't call him stepson...

That seems to be exactly it, 114. As I explained in a reply to comment # 20, I called my father's fiancée and her sons my stepmother and stepbrothers, respectively, even before they got married because it was a concise way of explaining the nature of the relationship. I assume OP refers to the boy as her stepson for similar reasons--"stepson" is concise, and everyone gets what you mean (or so I would have assumed, before reading the comments on this FML -_- ).

catanita 18

This is the right way to do it. During the night you can do the same and under the sheets you can put a towel or something else to keep the mattress dry. We did the same thing and now my child is using already our toilet and he is 2 and a half years old.

momac86 17

Um if that's your bf you don't have a stepson yet sweetie

kotake 7

It could be a step son from a previous marriage she recently left but has custody over the kid. Or even she could just view him as her step-son. What does the label matter? Anyways smart kid :P

Oh for ****'s sake. Until the language catches up to modern romance and family situations and develops a two- or three-syllable word specific to the child of one's non marital partner, you'll have to get used to "stepson" or "stepdaughter" because they're simply the easiest terms to use in this situation.

He's your "boyfriends" son? He's not really your stepson then is he, OP?

Merylwen 24

If she considers him her stepson and she plays the role of a stepmother to him than yes he is.

Cadillac4427 8

@118 you are right, I thought the same thing...@121 , you are actually wrong in a sense. if she is is getting married and has a fiance then she could consider him as her stepson. however she called him her stepson but referred to his father as her boyfriend. I believe 118 was pointing out the error, nothing more. it was the way it was written and what people could interpret it as. in no way is anyone implying she can't love him like he is her stepson, its just the way it was written its implied that he is not.

I had a girlfriend as bright as that, she taught her son to wipe the tip of himself every time he peed & he ended up not wanting to go at all because it hurt from all the wiping....DAB, NOT WIPE (for both boys & girls) especially if you're going to teach a boy to act like a girl when using the toilet. If you're wiping your front end, you've been taught wrong.

Welcome to helping raise a child. I never let my kids on the couch during potty training in underwear (or naked, sometimes that method works well too) until they were good enough that they rarely peed themselves. Still had messes on the floor though. It's what happens. And that's far from the worst bodily fluid to have to clean up.