By VeeDubDisaster - 17/01/2010 02:35 - United States

Today, I went to start my just bought '79 VW bus. I put my key in but stopped due to the strong gasoline smell. I went to check. Found puddle of gas. The previous owner figured duct taping a cracked tank was the same as fixing it. And didn't bother to share that tidbit with me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 315
You deserved it 28 507

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Probably should have had the car checked out before you bought it? .-.

Jeff2017 0

should of said "show me the carfax"

Comments

foober00 0

Ok you noobs, Obviously you have no clue where the gas tank is on these things. It is behind a cover in front of the engine. No way to see it from the bottom. I drive a '77 and I get 25MPG. So stfu and do research.

Agreed - unless you're specifically looking for it, there's no easy way to see that. Besides, if there's no gas smell, there's no reason to assume there's a problem and go looking for it, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Carfax only report on problems that have been addressed? I doubt if this would show up. OP - I'd confront the seller and ask him/her to either cover or split the cost of the repair. Unless the bill of sale reads in 'as is' condition, you might have a case in small claims court if the seller gives you a problem. After all, they sold you a car and did not disclose a potentially deadly situation. "Buyer beware," yes, but what about "seller be honest"? After all, there was duct tape on it, so s/he knew about it. It's not like it was an unknown problem. Best of luck, with it. A VW van is still awesome. :)

iankennedy17 0

This is why you get the car you want to buy checked out before you buy it.

Bella910 0

uh yea ydi u should always have and know some kind of history on the vehicale ur purchasing

starshine3987 0

Even the retards who can't spell know better than to buy cars without getting them inspected.

If it makes you feel better, it's really easy to do repairs on an air-cooled VW. Like erector set easy. The old VWs have a good community. Find a forum, they can help you figure out if the tank's reparable or should be replaced and recommend a good site to buy parts. If you don't have tools you may even be able to find someone nearby who would be willing to help you if you're willing to provide beer. Welcome to the classic car world. And remember, the car's 30 years old; no matter what problems you encounter, someone's dealt with it before.

I don't know if you'll read these or not, but Permatex makes a gas tank repair epoxy that lasted, for me anyway, for two or three years. It would get you through while you searched for another tank. Good Luck.

A mechanic is the best kind of friend you can have. Befriend a mechanic and avoid future disasters

You didn't have this van checked out before you bought it? Not smart.