By John - 02/11/2012 04:13 - United States

Today, I was working in a call center when I smelled perfume. I'm allergic, and it triggered my asthma. When I came back, some jerk had sprayed it all over my work area. I couldn't go near it for the rest of my shift, therefore I had to go home early, and got my paycheck docked. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 677
You deserved it 2 255

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Brutal, OP :( shouldn't get your pay docked for something you can't control / something someone else did.

Jeez who the hell are these coworkers? They're assholes.

Comments

esb77 8

Hey, OP here. To give more details, my boss found out who sprayed it, and ended up suspending her for a month without pay. She also got the department manger involved, and corrected the docked pay for the time I missed, as well as giving me an extra paid half hour break for me to use whenever I wanted. I had my inhaler with me, so that helped. So I didn't have to get HR or workers comp involved.

If you're allergic to something so common, you should bring a mask with you in case something like this happens. Sure it's rude of the other person, but you didn't have to miss work if you were prepared.

OP works in a call centre. I'm pretty sure a mask would effect his performance.

pheonixfire13 17

Speaking from experience unless it's a very expensive and fancy mask it won't really help very much

I think that qualifies as a hostile work environment. Forcing you to work there with that health concern is a violation. SUE THEM

if you work in a call center there should b some policy that says people arent supposed to spray perfumes for that reason. talk to a manager, get it stopped and get ur pay back. not ur fault someone else didnt follow policy

pickle_wibbs 10

You need to report that, it's awful!

Find out who they are then spray skunk all over their desk.

KiddNYC1O 20

Some people just exaggerate with fragrance. Others smell it more than you do so quit bathing in it.

mary4ce 2

You came to work, you were willing and able to work that day. The fact that your work environment suddenly became hostile and prevented you from working was out of your control. Since the perfume is not something part of your actual job duties, and you were not expecting it, this constitutes a workman's compensation claim. If you can go to the doctor and or a clinic and tell them what happened and when they ask you if it is work related, say yes. First inform your HR department you intend to do this since they should not be docking your pay. I am positive once you mention to them that this is not your fault and it is the company's fault you were injured/made suddenly ill, they will bring it up with your co-worker. I became violently ill when a coworker was dousing herself with perfume and almost had a heart attack while i was vomitting, so no, this is not okay and you should not be docked in your paycheck.

Call the board of labor file a hostile work environment claim