By John - 02/11/2012 04:13 - United States

Today, I was working in a call center when I smelled perfume. I'm allergic, and it triggered my asthma. When I came back, some jerk had sprayed it all over my work area. I couldn't go near it for the rest of my shift, therefore I had to go home early, and got my paycheck docked. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 677
You deserved it 2 255

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Brutal, OP :( shouldn't get your pay docked for something you can't control / something someone else did.

Jeez who the hell are these coworkers? They're assholes.

Comments

I have the same problem with perfume, but meds help me control it (else it's practically impossible to, say, travel by public transport since there's always people wearing perfume). Maybe that will help in future cases. For now, FYL :(

OP hasn't specified whether his co-workers know he has this sensitivity or not, because that makes a big difference in what needs to be done. It's your job to inform people about your health issues. If they did know, however, then you need to confront them and demand their respect and better co-operation. It sucks that you got less pay, but more often than not we get punished for other people's mistakes.

Anai08 17

If someone sprayed the perfume all over his work area, I'm pretty sure that's not something done by accident. Someone definitely knew OP would react negatively to it.

blahblah0392 7

35 has anyone ever told u that u look like that red head from the show Awkward on MTV?

Ah, I've always found the perfume allergy to be an awkward allergy...I don't go over the top with perfume but I do like to smell nice and I always feel really self conscious when putting it on as I'm trying to work out if it might affect someone or not...still, PURPOSEFULLY spraying it all over your workplace is completely out of order. If you have security cameras maybe you could see who did it and explain the seriousness of what they did to them/have them disciplined?

Time to go to HR and talk about a hostile work environment. You may need a note from your physician explaining your condition. I know several people have said to go to HR, but you must go prepared if you want good results.

I work In a call center as well, and when someone mentions a sensitivity to perfume and colognes most of the tools I work with then load up and the place reeks. Management then sends out the correct email about it, but no one does anything unless HR is contacted. OP, I feel your pain. Contact HR, there are policies based on ADA issues.

Asthma is a recognized "disability" in which they cannot discriminate against. If someone is intentionally spraying your workstation with perfume to evoke an attack that is considered HARASSMENT! Discrimination and harassment are not allowed in the workplace according to the EEOC! Contact the ADA!

TheDrifter 23

HR is a good idea, but it may backfire. I once had a coworker sensitive to all forms of perfume, Cologne, scented shampoo and aftershave. After repeated complaints, the rest of the office vetoed showing and scents for a week, to give her an idea of what she smelled like. She quit.

Marrach 7

They should have a box in the perfume department, like something you can walk into and spray. Alot of people spray perfume thinking it smells good, but others think otherwise.