By I should have kept my mouth shut - 23/01/2013 01:35 - United States - Davis

Today, I was talking to my grandma and I mentioned the fact that tomatoes are technically fruit. It's been an hour and she's still yelling, accusing me of lying to her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 823
You deserved it 4 594

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Trickiest_K 9

It's amazing how fired up people get over a tomato...

So either show her some proof or just let her think she's right. it can't matter that much.

Comments

If you put vinegar and high fructose corn syrup in your smoothies, then yes. Also, when you write" dat" instead of "that", you look like an idiot.

perdix 29

You can fix it by saying that tomatoes are a "culinary vegetable" even though botanically they are fruits. No wonder Grandpa is out there calling girls "suggestive cheesecakes."

ByronJess 17

Give her a break, old people don't mean to go senile... It just kind of happens. :)

If you had access to post this on FML, you had access to Internet which you could have searched and shown her some sort of proof.

perdix 29

#37, because the Internet is the source of truth? Ask Manti Te'o ;)

Not exactly, but there would have been heaps of posts and forums about it. That's at least something.

TungstenLildog 10

People need to stop repeating things they hear and pretending to be so smart. Sure, tomato is a fruit, but so is cucumber, bell pepper, eggplant, etc.

How was OP pretending to be smart? it's just a simple fact that she stated. it's not like she and her grandmother were having a huge discussion on quantum mechanics or on nuclear radiation. Being right doesn't mean someone is automatically condescending.

62- she was talking about everyone commenting hence the word "repeating"

jogihoppa8343 23

tell her bananas are biologically non -veg ...probably she'd stop yelling..

guyverzerox 6

Seriously how is this an fyl grow up OP and it isn't technically a fruit, plain and simple it is a fruit yes FYL for being so petty.

Lighten up #52, OP meant for this to be a funny story.

HighlandShadows 48

The Supreme Court declared the tomato a vegetable in 1893. See Nix v. Hedden.

HAHA! And if the Supreme Court of the USA declared that humans are zebras, would humans really be zebras?

Grauncho 27

You should really blow her mind by telling her that they are not only fruit, but are also classified as berries as well.

TheyCallMeDamien 17