By mockable - 06/04/2012 11:09 - United States

Today, I was informed that one of my store managers does a "great" impression of me. No one will tell me what it is, but apparently it's really funny. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 529
You deserved it 2 574

Same thing different taste

Top comments

missyj0 12

Don't be so uptight, OP. They're only joking around.

Go up to the manager and tell him you like how he idolizes you. That'll make him stop, if you want him to.

Comments

Get his ass fired and apply for his job. Who's funny now?!!!

Then hire him back and do an impression of him. It's like the circle of life without the lions and hyenas.

I think the hyenas are there already, metaphorically speaking.

BunBunBabe 8

They're all laughing at you! It's not paranoia!! Haha

It must be the way you pick your wedgie and then sniff it. Oh wait, nvm, that's Nadal. Hm.

Pretty sure this is the wrong FML…

Why would one of your colleagues inform you that one of the bosses is mocking you and then refuse to give you the details? What an asshole. And what kind of supervisor ridicules an employee to the other employees? Report this unprofessional behavior to personnel. The manager's job is to run the department/store, not entertain the staff at the expense of one staff member. This is a form of bullying called "mobbing" which occurs in the workplace when a group of employees gangs up on one person to ridicule that person or set that person up to fail in some way.

I saw nothing about ridiculing or mocking in the story, just doing an impression. Do comedians who do impressions ridicule their targets? Not necessarily, they simply imitate their voices, mannerisms, etc. Seems to me like you're overreacting juuuuuust a bit.

Well, he/she is kind of 'bankrupt' of humour, my dear Doc.

If the OP is uncomfortable being imitated by a supervisor then it is a form of bullying, even if others think the OP is overreacting. And read the FML. If everyone else is laughing then the imitation IS mocking the OP. A store is a place of business, not a place for a supervisor to get a quick, easy laugh at the expense of an underling. Now the OP is in a workplace knowing he or she is being 'imitated' by a supervisor and everyone is laughing at it, but won't let him or her in on what the joke is. Companies have lost lawsuits on less. And FYI, I do have a sense of humor. Unlike the rest of you, I just do not find making fun of someone funny. I would never do it and I do not laugh when I see others do it. How would you feel if you went into work and someone came up to you and said, "The boss does an imitation of you that has us pissing our pants it's so funny!" and then everyone refuses to tell you what the imitation is or why it's funny, then expects you to work with them knowing they are all laughing at your expense? This is a classic example of a hostile work environment. If the OP tells the supervisor "Please stop imitating me to the rest of the staff" and it continues then the OP does have the right to go to personnel and complain. Even if the boss and the co-workers honestly didn't mean to upset the OP, the fact is that this DOES upset the OP and it needs to stop.

I laugh at impressions of people too. It doesn't mean they are being made fun of! Teasing people is ok as long as it isn't too harsh. Learn to laugh at yourself, Bankrupt. I've been teased and impersonated myself. Know what I do? I laugh with them. If they meant it nastily, that takes their power away.

The mere fact that no one will tell the OP what the impression is or why it's funny indicates that it IS nasty. If it weren't hurtful, then someone would just tell her. And this isn't about my feelings. I am not the person who is being imitated at work and knows about it, but not WHAT the imitation is. The OP is. Her nick of "Mockable" says it all. She feels she is being mocked at her workplace by a supervisor. Unlike the rest of you, she understands that her co-workers won't reveal the specifics to her because they know she will be angry or hurt, and that telling her ABOUT the imitation but not WHAT it is was a specific act meant to upset her. Otherwise, why bother telling her? To these people, it's fun to watch her get imitated but it's even more fun to know she's twisting in the wind over it. How kind and considerate of them.

I think you made your point in the first two essays you wrote, bankrupt. Geez, lighten up a little. I get where you're coming from--we all do--but the fact of the matter is that there are just too many factors to jump to that conclusion. You are being really upright over something on FML, of all places. This is only one side of the story. Don't come to a conclusion just based off of that.

OP's diction infers that the manager is in his/her employ. "informed," "one of my," OP's the boss here. Your argument is invalid.

What 'facts' do you need? 1. OP is told by co-worked that boss is imitating her and it's hilarious 2. no one will tell her the specifics, leaving her out of the department 'joke' Those are the facts. From this we can conclude that the OP is unhappy with this state of affairs or she would not have posted. But according to you she should be pissing her pants laughing at an imitation of herself which she has not seen and has no details on and I am an asshole for thinking she has every right to be angry and upset. It's miserable enough to work in retail (a FACT since the boss is a store manager) and it is even worse to go to work every day knowing that you are the butt of a department joke. We are back to 'mobbing' which is everyone in a workplace ganging up on one person. OP, you have my abject sympathy and that's a FACT.

This is actually a textbook case of mobbing. I work in HR and this is something we are hearing a lot about now that we didn't about 15 years ago or so.

Bank, you're a diddling twat, and should stop now. The issue here is WE DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION TO MAKE AN EDUCATED INFERENCE ON THE SITUATION. You can give her your sympathy, but you're jumping the gun. Majorly. I suggest you sit down. Take a sip of sparkling water. And contemplate how you are taking a peanut and trying to feed an elephant. I feel I should add that this is through the viewpoint of the OP, and that it will be made to make her look like a victim.

Creeper - this is bankrupt's MO. She overanalyses and overcomplicates and overthinks everything. We've come to understand and/or ignore the majority of it.

Shh, Doc. I'm trying to get Bank to break something. I love people like him/her.

Lol we all have to learn to laugh at ourselves in life... But **** I always hate it when they do that... I will always go "sticks and stone will break my bones but words will never harm me" but sooner or later I will snap after they laugh about it endlessly and either pin one to the wall and ask what's up, or do an extreme act of violence to shut them up. Not saying op should do that though...

On the day I was born, All the nurse gathered round, And they gazed in wide wonder, At the joy they had found... The head nurse spoke up Said "leave this one alone" She could tell right away... I was bad to the bone...

marinefootball88 1

Oh man, talk about something getting in your head! Just keep asking them what it is, eventually someone will fill you in.

Ok not sure how,it is,a,FML unless it is extremely unflattering

This is the part where you apply for a better job and not let them know when your leaving. Make sure you leave when you know they need u.

Yes, exactly No. 32. One of my friends was at work and overheard the rest of the staff (boss included), not knowing she was still in the office, making fun of her. They had a field day; apparently everything about her was wrong in their eyes (but I suspect their real problem was they were jealous because she came from big, big money and didn't even have to work). She was really hurt, then she was really mad. She waited until they were at their busiest and she had a TON of projects due to call up one day and quit without notice, leaving them in a big hole.

I hope your friend gave HR a detailed report of why she quit. One of our roles in HR is to ensure a comfortable workplace for ALL employees. A little fun is fine and good but when someone feels bad or left out, it's crossed the line and it's time to stop. This FML crossed the line and so did this situation with your friend, all the more so because in both cases a boss was involved. These things have a way of escalating, especially if a boss is a party to them, so it's best to nip them in the bud.

"An impression of me doing what? ******* his wife? Trust me, he doesn't do it NEARLY as good as me."