By anonymous - 24/04/2013 04:55 - Germany

Today, I was fired on my second day of work after a year and a half of unemployment. Apparently, my "tendency to solve problems instead of just accepting them made the other workers uneasy". FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 639
You deserved it 3 630

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yay for people's insecurities! I had coworkers like that once, I ended up quitting.

Comments

That's kind of like... Being over qualified... I just don't get it>.

Calculate900 4

Wait, you got fired for "solving problems?" What kind of company does that? I feel like you'd be an asset to them.

Unfortunately that sounds about right. Too many people are quite uncomfortable thinking & problem solving. Hope you find a new job ASAP OP

RedPillSucks 31

Be sure that the thing you see as a "problem to be solved" is actually something that needs to be solved. Nothing pisses off the bosses more than you spending your time fixing something that might not actually have been broken while ignoring the stuff you should be working on.

TheDrifter 23

It also helps if you can actually solve the problem if it's a real one. I've had a couple employees that like to spend their says "solving" problems, while creating more in the process and never getting their own work done.

myeviltwin 20

Ha, ydi. You were operating under the mistaken assumption that hard work and results get you ahead in most jobs. If you want to get ahead at work try one of these methods. 1 Be related to or a friend of the boss. 2 Be a brown nosing sychophant. 3 Be the workplace snitch (turn in you coworkers for every minor violation of company policy whether real or imagined) 4 Be physically attractive and sleep with the boss. Better yet if you can combine 1,2,and 3 or 2,3 and 4 you're golden.

You're a little full of yourself. I can understand if you were there awhile but after two days, you know how the solve your job's problems better than they do? No one like a Mr. Know it All (especially one that doesn't).

Most of my work experience has been in hospitals. What I have found is that the harder you work and the better you are at what you do, the more is expected of you. This benefits mediocre workers, who remain under the radar, do just enough to get by (or just enough to not endanger someone's life), and take home the same or more money than the good worker. Unfair, but a fact of life. It's also one of the reasons I would rather eat dirt than work in a hospital again.

Aregonde 15

I hope you weren't THAT newbie--the one who thinks he's God's messenger sent to enlighten all the seasoned workers on how incorrectly they've been doing their jobs for the past decade. The guy who has no idea why things are done a particular way and challenges everything and argues with everybody. The guy who ignores directions, refuses to cooperate with the team, and ***** everything up because he insists on doing things a "better" way. If that's what you mean by "solving problems instead of just accepting them," I'd fire you, too. No company can afford an employee who gets in the way of day-to-day operations, violates policies and pisses everybody off. Unless it's more important to you to be a hero than to be employed, when you start a new job, just shut up and do what you're told. Period. Keep doing that, and eventually you'll a) understand why things are done as they are or b) gain the rapport and credibility to suggest something different--and have actual experience to support your suggestion. Your first week on the job is no time to be "solving problems"--especially without confirming with your bosses and experienced coworkers that a problem actually exists, and getting their permission to fix it.

I'm going to agree that this was my first thought on reading the FML. It sounds like the management were attempting to say very politely 'You're a really annoying know-it-all.' Of course management could equally have just done the business equivalent of not signing the Beatles ;-)

51 - Especially when that newbie starts each revelation with, "Well, when I was at Thus-and-So ..."

Although I pretty much agree, I still feel that it may have been a little too harsh to fire OP because of this. He seems to have meant well. Could've tried to make him understand how things work around there and given him a chance to get adjusted. All in all, FYL OP.

Unfortunately, stupidity is a disease that can affect anybody from any country...

Where the **** did you work? We need to know, to avoid that place.