By LawStudent - 19/09/2012 14:54 - United States - Indianapolis

Today, I was excited to get my first writing assignment since starting law school. I found out that I have to write a paper defending free speech. This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to defend the Westboro Baptist Church and if I weren't a former Marine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 011
You deserved it 3 605

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, part of being a lawyer is finding ways to defend people who are the scum of the earth. That's why they make the big bucks

Comments

Wow that's a tough challenge for a first assignment. I really don't see how anyone can defend WBC apart from 'everyone is entitled to their own beliefs'... but no worries OP, if you can overcome this you'll be one step closer to becoming a badass lawyer.

Your life is definitely ****** but this is a really good exercise for you. In the practice of law you often have to defend clients against things you don't believe in, even in the case of a prosecutor. You may have to charge someone even when you believe the circumstances grant a reprieve from being charged. It's a tough lesson and it happens to be the one that when learned well gets you all the lawyer jokes. Sorry OP!

It's just to help determine your ability to research and prepare an argument. As for everyone saying that everyone has to defend people, have you never heard of the prosecution?

Chrispayne 4

Anyway u can do the free speech about the large biker groups that protest Westboro? U could make it that not only do we have freedom of speech but our freedom of speech causes even more freedom of speech

Isn't that kinda what being a lawyer is about? You have to defend your client no matter who they are and what they've done. I'm sure this issue is tough for you personally, but I bet lawyers who defend murderers have a hard time as well. If you can't learn to put your personal feelings aside it'll be a very difficult job for you.

Chrispayne 4

How about how many new groups refuse to cover them because while it is a story they know they just want to be on camera

F Being a lawyer isn't about your personal beliefs, it is about representing others and their beliefs in court. If this is such a problem, then perhaps a reconsideration of career is in order...

kate3101 15

I agree that this is a particularly challenging thing to ask you to do. However, they are not asking that you believe it, or like it. It's a bit trite, maybe, but the basis of your argument is "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Blacksabbath211 9

I believe the WBC is the exception to this rule.