By RidingCJ - 05/11/2013 18:04 - Canada - Montr?al

Today, I was conducting surveys over the phone at work. As I called a new respondent, someone answered the phone, burped loudly, and hung up. This isn't the first time. I hate this job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 995
You deserved it 7 443

RidingCJ tells us more.

OP here. First of all we are not telemarketers because we are not selling anything. Telemarketers are the ones who will not let you go and force you to buy things over the phone. Second of all, yeah I know those calls are annoying. We are all aware of that. Do you think we really like to do this?! I'm a full time college student and this is the only job that fits my schedule. Whenever a telemarketer or interviewer calls you, just say I'm NOT INTERESTED PLEASE TAKE MY NAME OFF YOUR LIST. and we won't call you again. It's simple. And please, no need to be rude.

Top comments

wolfman2123 13

Don't pretend like you haven't hung up on a survey phone call

SuperMew 22

I understand your frustration. But you cannot understand how horrid it is getting thousands of calls a year because people want to sell you things. I get 15 a week, and even when I tell them to take me off the list I still get calls. Even if someone is not selling anything, unless I ask to be called I do not wish to speak with someone. I do not get paid to listen, I do not get paid to waste my minutes on calls from other people. I have other things in my life to do and being called about things I do not want or need... well it is very annoying. I am also a college student. I get paid to take care of animals for people out of town, freelance work, and babysitters. I am in class a lot of the time, doing homework. Being called by someone I do not know can interrupt my work, wake up the children I am watching, and take up time I need to do other things. So while people should be polite, we are not paid to and it gets very annoying after the 15th person.

Comments

not to be rude but at times telemarketers keep calling and is funny not always but when is for the same company is funny

Ahh, the joys of working a call center. I had someone fart on the phone for me, one tune.

If you don't want your phone called don't put it out there. Those little cards you fill out at the mall/casino/sporting event to win a car/trip/prize? Yeah, those things get bought/sold/traded between companies & your number gets passed around. Also, you ALWAYS have an option to just not answer the phone.

They can't always resort to not answering the phone. Sometimes they may be expecting a phone call from an unknown number or 800 number such as a return call from bestbuy or something.

I remember getting a call from a telemarketer during dinner time, and they actually had the gall to immediately put me on hold while they transferred a representative to my line. As you can imagine, I wasn't too thrilled. If you're planning on trying to sell me something, at least BE there on the other line when I pick up so I can politely tell you that I'm not interested. I've gotten those donation lines that complain when I don't donate enough, or they'll egg me on about "donating a little more." I've also gotten those lame pre-recorded calls that start with a deafening foghorn being sounded in my ear as soon as I say, "Hello?" because they're trying to "give away" cruise tickets for a place I can't afford to go. Sorry about your situation, OP. You're probably a cool sales representative.

if you actually took our names off the list then we would say that. but most times we get a call right back. lol

you should find a job that suits you & live stress free.

I've always been polite to telemarketers as I don't enjoy belittling or bullying people who have no choice but to take it. Recently I had the misfortune of doing that kind of job myself & I have even more sympathy for them! I had the luxury of being able to turn the job down but can imagine how awful it would be to go in everyday wondering if the next call is the next arsehole. The person on the call is not the person to be mad at, it's the company & managers who implement the policies so take your frustrations out on them if you have to. Also, check the small print whenever you give out your contact details, if you allow your details to be used/sold, you have to expect those kinds of calls.

You actually seem to understand the world doesn't revolve around you. That seems kind of vanishingly rare. I like you.

i do that all of the time it could have been me for all you know