By RidingCJ - 05/11/2013 18:04 - Canada - Montr?al

Today, I was conducting surveys over the phone at work. As I called a new respondent, someone answered the phone, burped loudly, and hung up. This isn't the first time. I hate this job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 995
You deserved it 7 443

RidingCJ tells us more.

OP here. First of all we are not telemarketers because we are not selling anything. Telemarketers are the ones who will not let you go and force you to buy things over the phone. Second of all, yeah I know those calls are annoying. We are all aware of that. Do you think we really like to do this?! I'm a full time college student and this is the only job that fits my schedule. Whenever a telemarketer or interviewer calls you, just say I'm NOT INTERESTED PLEASE TAKE MY NAME OFF YOUR LIST. and we won't call you again. It's simple. And please, no need to be rude.

Top comments

wolfman2123 13

Don't pretend like you haven't hung up on a survey phone call

SuperMew 22

I understand your frustration. But you cannot understand how horrid it is getting thousands of calls a year because people want to sell you things. I get 15 a week, and even when I tell them to take me off the list I still get calls. Even if someone is not selling anything, unless I ask to be called I do not wish to speak with someone. I do not get paid to listen, I do not get paid to waste my minutes on calls from other people. I have other things in my life to do and being called about things I do not want or need... well it is very annoying. I am also a college student. I get paid to take care of animals for people out of town, freelance work, and babysitters. I am in class a lot of the time, doing homework. Being called by someone I do not know can interrupt my work, wake up the children I am watching, and take up time I need to do other things. So while people should be polite, we are not paid to and it gets very annoying after the 15th person.

Comments

I would be amused if I were a telemarketer calling someone and they burped into the phone and hung up...

Firebrand1686 3

Hang in there OP... I think everyone should work Telesales/marketing at some point. It's by far the worst job I've ever held, especially if your natural inclination is to be polite and not pressure people.

You deserve it. Phone surveys are so annoying.

snarkytruth 37

I quit a job like that because they were unethical and ripping old people off. I even refused the paycheck because it felt like dirty money. I hate telemarketers but am always polite because they are usually regular people just desperate for work like the rest of us.

"You slightly inconvenience me so you deserve shit" People on this site really show their assholish side... Sure, it's annoying, sure, it takes your oh-so-valuable half a minute to answer, say "sorry, but no" and hang up. But it's a HUMAN BEING doing their job on the other side. Put yourself on a no-call list, or even better, freaking hide your number. Problem solved without being an asshole to anyone.

I also used to work for a national survey company, I used to do surveys for the banks to improve their services so the people I called were customers of those banks, the survey took about 5 minutes to complete and we were only allowed to tell the customer which financial institution we were calling from, I once got the husband of the customer answere the phone, he listened to my intro and was very polite and when I asked for his wife (by name) he wanted to know on behalf of which bank I was calling and when I told him I can only reveal that info only to his wife he blew his top saying he waa going to ******* blow my head off and other threats lol. I also was invited on a trip by another person lol but he was elderly and probably lonely. Another time some dude started moaning and groaning to my voice so I immediately hung up on him!