By RidingCJ - 05/11/2013 18:04 - Canada - Montr?al

Today, I was conducting surveys over the phone at work. As I called a new respondent, someone answered the phone, burped loudly, and hung up. This isn't the first time. I hate this job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 995
You deserved it 7 443

RidingCJ tells us more.

OP here. First of all we are not telemarketers because we are not selling anything. Telemarketers are the ones who will not let you go and force you to buy things over the phone. Second of all, yeah I know those calls are annoying. We are all aware of that. Do you think we really like to do this?! I'm a full time college student and this is the only job that fits my schedule. Whenever a telemarketer or interviewer calls you, just say I'm NOT INTERESTED PLEASE TAKE MY NAME OFF YOUR LIST. and we won't call you again. It's simple. And please, no need to be rude.

Top comments

wolfman2123 13

Don't pretend like you haven't hung up on a survey phone call

SuperMew 22

I understand your frustration. But you cannot understand how horrid it is getting thousands of calls a year because people want to sell you things. I get 15 a week, and even when I tell them to take me off the list I still get calls. Even if someone is not selling anything, unless I ask to be called I do not wish to speak with someone. I do not get paid to listen, I do not get paid to waste my minutes on calls from other people. I have other things in my life to do and being called about things I do not want or need... well it is very annoying. I am also a college student. I get paid to take care of animals for people out of town, freelance work, and babysitters. I am in class a lot of the time, doing homework. Being called by someone I do not know can interrupt my work, wake up the children I am watching, and take up time I need to do other things. So while people should be polite, we are not paid to and it gets very annoying after the 15th person.

Comments

I honestly don't see why you survey people over the phone. Not only does is piss people off, but also only the people that care enough about the subject will respond creating a bias result.

deejaydeeray 2

Hey, maybe you guys should stop entering your phone numbers online? That's where most telemarketers gather their information. So blame yourselves!

Goblin182 26

Actual conversation I had with a telemarkter. Me: I don't need your damned product T/M: Sir please don't use that kind of language Me; I'm sorry, does my language bother you T/M: Yes sir it does Me: Then stop ******* calling me asshole

do people come to your work and scream obsenities at you? if not, someone should start.

Well, you could actually take it out on someone who's actually responsible for calling you, but you're probably just secretly seeking an excuse to be an asshole to people who can't pummel you for it.

Good thing i live in a country where that stuff is forbidden by law.

captainObviously 15

You deserve it. Telemarketers are the slimiest pests. Calling at dinner time, gggrrrr! >:)

Once again I'm not a telemarketer. and get a screening device if you guys really hate these calls because you would have done something about it if you were really that annoyed. I even have one myself. Whenever I receive those calls, it's related to services that I actually use and not any random stupid thing.

It's strange, and sad, how many people think they'll stop getting calls of any sort, or make some kind of change of any kind, by being rude to the person on the phone. Pssst. Geniuses. That person is not the one choosing to call you. Or even with any control over the computers that make that choice. What you are doing is like kicking your neighbor's dog because it was in the car said neighbor ran into your mailbox. The dog was not driving. The dog had nothing to do with it. But you're dumb and angry and have to just take it out on someone you dimly perceive as being somehow related to what happened.

I know how you feel! I worked for a company who called existing customers, just to check that everything was working ok. even then you'd still get the rude people who tell you to **** off!

bobo_the_bear 5

Currently I do not feel that bad for you . Telemarketing/survey calls suck. When I say No Thank You, don't keep trying to sell me.

You say "Don't keep trying to sell." Their bosses say "Keep trying to sell." And you genuinely think you're so important that they would ignore lose-your-job tier orders just to earn your favor instead. Wow.

bobo_the_bear 5

The point is, when I say no and they keep going they are now the rude ones. If they took no for an answer then the conversation would end politely. If they don't things might end badly and the blame should fall on the operator or the company that tells them to keep selling.

No, the point is they are left with a choice between "honoring your weird personal hangups about talking with something longer than you want to but not being able to end the conversation yourself" and "having a source of income". You view the former as more important. Heaven forbid they put not being left jobless over your personal satisfaction in a conversation you can literally end with the press of a button. Also: The companies have these policies not using these tactics would not gain them any additional profits/responses/whatever they're after. If someone says no and that's that, then that's that. If someone says no but can be brought around, that turns into a positive result for the company. There's literally no reason for them not to do it, from a business perspective. If you want this unspeakable infringement to stop, go yell at the people who change their minds and thus make this a valuable strategy.

bobo_the_bear 5

Since you seem to know all there is to know on this subject. How many no's does it take before a sales person will say " thank you for your time, have a nice day"? Also, isn't just pressing a button to hang up rude? I think it is. All I am saying is politeness is a two way street. If a sales person is rude or a companies rules makes the sales person rude, they should not be surprised when the potential customer is rude.

bobo_the_bear 5

Does anyone else play "how long can I keep this telemarketer on the phone without buying anything"? My record is 37 minutes.

Even though it sounds fun to waste their time, I don't think many people have the time or patience to chat with a telemarketer for half an hour