By RidingCJ - 05/11/2013 18:04 - Canada - Montr?al

Today, I was conducting surveys over the phone at work. As I called a new respondent, someone answered the phone, burped loudly, and hung up. This isn't the first time. I hate this job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 995
You deserved it 7 443

RidingCJ tells us more.

OP here. First of all we are not telemarketers because we are not selling anything. Telemarketers are the ones who will not let you go and force you to buy things over the phone. Second of all, yeah I know those calls are annoying. We are all aware of that. Do you think we really like to do this?! I'm a full time college student and this is the only job that fits my schedule. Whenever a telemarketer or interviewer calls you, just say I'm NOT INTERESTED PLEASE TAKE MY NAME OFF YOUR LIST. and we won't call you again. It's simple. And please, no need to be rude.

Top comments

wolfman2123 13

Don't pretend like you haven't hung up on a survey phone call

SuperMew 22

I understand your frustration. But you cannot understand how horrid it is getting thousands of calls a year because people want to sell you things. I get 15 a week, and even when I tell them to take me off the list I still get calls. Even if someone is not selling anything, unless I ask to be called I do not wish to speak with someone. I do not get paid to listen, I do not get paid to waste my minutes on calls from other people. I have other things in my life to do and being called about things I do not want or need... well it is very annoying. I am also a college student. I get paid to take care of animals for people out of town, freelance work, and babysitters. I am in class a lot of the time, doing homework. Being called by someone I do not know can interrupt my work, wake up the children I am watching, and take up time I need to do other things. So while people should be polite, we are not paid to and it gets very annoying after the 15th person.

Comments

Lizardgirl 7

I totally feel your pain, op. I just finished doing phone surveys as an odd job at my school and after three days I couldn't take it anymore. Some people are really rude. Yes, I understand that people hate telemarketer/survey phone calls, but we college students don't really have a choice in where we want to work and there are so many douchebags that think we're out to personally annoy them. When people say they hate getting phone calls they have no idea how much worse it is for the one calling.

Lizardgirl 7

Not to say that there aren't nice people, though :) There were a few people who were polite towards me even when turning down a survey :)

SuperMew 22

Again, I am going to say this. You chose to take that job. You get paid for it. I did not choose to be bothered by countless calls. I did not ask to be called.I do not get paid for the call. I will be polite, but know deep down I hate your calls. I now hang up on people the moment "This is [company I do not know] calling about {survey.]" I don't care if it is your job.

just quit. Can't find a job? always escort, hooker, or drug dealer

Lizardgirl 7

I'm sorry Supermew, but your comments are everywhere and they're annoying as hell. I get telemarketer calls too. They're a part of life. So suck it up. This was the only job I could find and I needed the money, but like I said I'm done now.

Lizardgirl 7

And haha sdroze I said a legal job :)

Lizardgirl 7

Oh wait I edited that out. Well I'm looking for what few legal jobs there are :)

I call bullshit on this. The truth is cold callers are most likely to call at meal times, etc., because that is the most likely time to catch people at home. So, you are paid to call me when it will annoy me the most. And as far as having no other options for employment, that is bullshit too. I work factory jobs during the summer, deliver pizza, work retail and convenience jobs at night, etc. You do have a choice.

Lizardgirl 7

You try going to a school where there arw hundreds of students but only 10 places hiring. Jobs usually fill up during the first few weeks and I wasn't so lucky. We dont choose to call you at dinner time. My shift was a few hours and i had 200 calls I needed to make to get at least 3 interviews. Why don't you try that job and I swear you'd be singing a different tune

MichellinMan 20
Lizardgirl 7

Money. I didn't take the time to read where OP is from, but here in the USA the economy's so bad that there aren't that many places looking to hire. At least for me I'll take any (legal) job I can get.

I got the pleasure of listening to a recovering heroin addict sell life insurance over the phone. He could get you to buy anything. He would go into great detail about the complimentary jellies you would receive. The guy was hilarious, and a freakin genius.

XIceBlueX 21

Every time a telemarketer calls, I just asked to be removed from their list, tell them to have a nice day, and hang up. Their job sucks as is. I like to keep it short and polite

No one likes survey calls! But it's your job and it's part of the territory

Sorry to hear that op but I ******* hate surveys like that!! Especially when they call back!!!!

Xenvrae 6

I used to do this job myself. I know the feel. At least you didn't get cussed out. I've had that happen way too many times.

NatalieOntheTram 11

Survey calls just need to be a tad bit shorter. Last time I took one, I was on the phone for at least 30-45 minutes. If it were 5-10 minutes, I wouldn't have minded. But this lady had a million and one questions... Anyways, hope you find a better job, OP.

ManicGypsy 22

I had a survey dude call me one time when I was high as a kite. I didn't know what to say, so I just kinda went along with it. I vaguely remember at one point having to set the phone down to projectile vomit before going back to the call. I think the guy heard. Not sure. It was a survey about Camel Snus, if I remember correctly. Good times.