By RidingCJ - 05/11/2013 18:04 - Canada - Montr?al

Today, I was conducting surveys over the phone at work. As I called a new respondent, someone answered the phone, burped loudly, and hung up. This isn't the first time. I hate this job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 995
You deserved it 7 443

RidingCJ tells us more.

OP here. First of all we are not telemarketers because we are not selling anything. Telemarketers are the ones who will not let you go and force you to buy things over the phone. Second of all, yeah I know those calls are annoying. We are all aware of that. Do you think we really like to do this?! I'm a full time college student and this is the only job that fits my schedule. Whenever a telemarketer or interviewer calls you, just say I'm NOT INTERESTED PLEASE TAKE MY NAME OFF YOUR LIST. and we won't call you again. It's simple. And please, no need to be rude.

Top comments

wolfman2123 13

Don't pretend like you haven't hung up on a survey phone call

SuperMew 22

I understand your frustration. But you cannot understand how horrid it is getting thousands of calls a year because people want to sell you things. I get 15 a week, and even when I tell them to take me off the list I still get calls. Even if someone is not selling anything, unless I ask to be called I do not wish to speak with someone. I do not get paid to listen, I do not get paid to waste my minutes on calls from other people. I have other things in my life to do and being called about things I do not want or need... well it is very annoying. I am also a college student. I get paid to take care of animals for people out of town, freelance work, and babysitters. I am in class a lot of the time, doing homework. Being called by someone I do not know can interrupt my work, wake up the children I am watching, and take up time I need to do other things. So while people should be polite, we are not paid to and it gets very annoying after the 15th person.

Comments

Quite honestly, I really don't feel bad for the dude. Telemarketers are annoying. Sure, he was treated badly, but if he truly hates this job, why hasn't he switched? Just not much logic here OP. Possibly a madeup story.

Yes your job does suck, as most of us aren't interested in answering surveys for about 10 minutes on the phone for a call we're probably being charged for!

Omg I have the same job! today someone yelled at me to "get a real ******* job" while I was conducting my survey FML

I filed a complaint today with the CRTC against someone who's been calling me for a survey today. They called me on Monday and woke me up, then another four calls that day every hour or so. Then Tuesday, they woke me up again and called twice more. Eight calls in about 30 hours is just not ok.

Yeah, that job sucks. Once I got stuck listening to a conspiracy theorist as he went into his favorite ideas about the government being controlled by aliens. I kept flagging my super down, and he just shrugged, mouthed "Try to get him to complete it!" and left. I think I surreptitiously hung up. No one should have to sit through that. At least burps are short. :-P

I have a job where I have to do surveys as my job... I feel your pain. Worse job ever.

DisposableMen 7

As someone who gets those calls about fifteen times a day even though the telemarketers have all said they'd stop calling, I can testify that you don't know how annoying your people are....please, save yourself and get a new job...

They cannot do that. This is their only available job, in some cases. Everyone hates these calls and there's thousands of people making them. Not everyone's going to be satisfied, especially since it means less jobs. And they do know how annoying they are, but they can't do anything about it. As the others said, get on the do not call list.

TKello 6

I work for my school trying to get it funds and what not, so I'm constantly calling Alumni or what have you for donations. I learned that I do enjoy talking to Alumni, they have interesting things to say and sometimes gives good advice. But, if you get off the phone too quickly, we get in trouble. We understand that you don't want to donate/hate to be called, but if just for ONE minute, you let us get through our blasted call so we can confirm it's you we can put you on the No Call List. >_< drives me insane.

SuperMew 22

I think you should automatically put people on the no call list when they hang up.

how about shut up with the hate supermew .. it's getting really annoying

sinekt 9

Quit. It's that simple. Learn to let yourself build your own career, and not the career to build you.