By Anonymous - 17/11/2013 21:59 - United States - Elmwood Park

Today, I was at a diner with friends when we decided to put our phones in the middle of the table on the basis that whoever looks at theirs first has to pay. It was going well, until someone rushed up behind me, slammed my face into the table and ran out with our 4 phones. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 856
You deserved it 5 843

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why didn't the other people do anything? Surely four others had time to react?

you guys are a little slow, aren't you?

Comments

It says a lot about our society today that, to make sure people will have the common courtesy of not checking their phone while they are socializing, you have to invent stupid games like this. I mean, come on, is it really SO hard to put your phone in your pocket and not touch it for a few hours?

What do you expect? When hurricane Sandy hit New York last year, the first thing authorities did afterward was to place phone charging stations in the streets and THEN they began to think about irrelevancies like clean water. And I have a lot of younger co-workers and at some point I began to send messages via whatsapp or sms, continuing conversations which got stifled by them looking at their phones all the time. Now when they have lunch with me they automatically put their phones away - and a lot of them have expressed how much they enjoy having a meal without HAVING to look at their phones all the time. Although I am glad they enjoy sharing a meal and an actual chat with me, I am still a bit baffled.

Because heaven forbid the people affected by the hurricane would want to call their loved ones to tell them they're OK. What a stupid thing to worry about...

#41, those people who need charge stations probably don't have land line phones at home. I don't have one either as I don't see the point when my smart phone is my go to number for people to reach me.

Wizardo 33

Should have left the phones in one bag in the middle of the table, I'm sure the thief wouldn't have stolen it then, especially if it was fake Prada...

monkeyy100 15

I think it is just to see who would look/take their phones, and make them pay. Maybe they can just barely afford to eat there because they're in college. We don't know the whole story.

SadisticStephyy 21

That is not how I expected this to end.

I take it you hadn't heard of this new concept of paying for yourself? It's all the rage with responsible people.

Goblin182 26

How does this make them not responsible? Just because they wanted to make paying a game?

Well if they all agreed to this method, there's no problem, is there? Well, except for the thief.

The point is not who pays. The point is that it gives them incentive to interact with each other and have a conversation instead of spending the whole meal glued to their phones.

kinda bad that 4 of you couldn't do anything.

if you are that obsessed with your phones that you would interupt dinner with another person to text or tjeck facebook or whatev. you kinda almost deserve it