By ... - 07/02/2014 20:30 - United States - Glen Carbon

Today, I told my professor that I'll be missing class next week due to upcoming surgery. I asked if I could take the exam that I'd otherwise miss another day. He said no, and that I'd just have to take a failing grade, then wished me luck with the surgery. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 782
You deserved it 4 067

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Zach2014 11

I would talk to the school president and tell him what is happening. Also bing in a note from the dr.

Please, for the love of all that is good, Google it, and don't Bing it, OP.

Comments

This is college. Pretty sure the syllabus told you when the exam was since day 1. Should've reschedule the surgery when you already knew

While I can't speak for American universities, when I was studying, we weren't given exam dates until near the end of the semester.

#40 the OP may not have needed surgery at the beginning of the semester. The OP might not have found out until recently...

Quiet_one 22

It's very possible that the OP didn't even need (or didn't know he/she needed) surgery when the semester started. Medical conditions and injuries usually don't wait to show up when it's most convenient. Now if it's a purely cosmetic surgery, fail away, but I really don't think that's the case here. Also, if you're seeing a specialist (like a surgeon) you don't always have a lot of control over when they can fit you in. I had to wait 3 weeks just to get a consultation appointment once, and that was back when my doctor thought I might have cancer. I took the first appointment available, and anything in the way was either rescheduled or sacrificed. This professor needs to get off his power trip and come back to reality.

40-This may just be me, but no syllabus in the HISTORY of syllabi (syllabus's?) has ever included test dates. Please.

I think we're forgetting that maybe if OP does not get this surgery something fatal can happen, and their health should come before a test. I value education very much, but please. That being said, I also think you should go to a higher dean figure to sort this out because it doesn't sound fair

Jst4kicks 16

Go talk to the Dean or something that's completely unfair

thebob808 10

wow what a D. I hope they step on Legos.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

I would've stayed right there and puked and kept taking the test and left the mess.

If the class is one where the lowest test score is dropped, I can see the professor's point of view. If not, then fyl big time. I had a class I had no choice but to take a failing grade on an exam when I had jury duty because the lowest test grade in the class would be dropped. I hated it, but it turned out alright because of the grade drop.

There's no way they could force you to take a zero when jury duty is your excuse to not show up. No university is abouve the law and jury duty is mandatory by law.

It's just how it was with the class. The professor had made it clear from the beginning of the semester that your lowest test score would be dropped from your final grade. It was his way of dealing with people's emergencies. As such, I wasn't forced to take a zero. I just didn't take the test and the grade got dropped. Got an A in that class without the test.

Sorry but unless it's a medically necessary surgery, YDI for scheduling a surgery in the middle of the school year. I have multiple professors who don't care if you've been hit by a bus you miss a test you take a zero.

If OP doesn't have control over the date of the surgery, why wouldn't it be medically needed. Or course it could be cosmetic but I don't think that's he case. Damn, people refuse to believe unfortunate stuff just happens and tries to find ways to blame OP

Yeah you can definitely go to the dean over this. Your health is more important than this exam.

ivanhoe4u 3

Go to his department head, usually the Dean. Make sure you have the doctors note and scheduled surgery documentation. You might be able to get your money back for the class.

That is just plain evil! I remember the school I went to at least rescheduling my pre-Christmas exams when I had to get my wisdom teeth out when I was only 13. It's like we're not allowed to suffer any health problems that require us to be absent from school or work any more, and we're always entirely at fault for it.