By ... - 07/02/2014 20:30 - United States - Glen Carbon

Today, I told my professor that I'll be missing class next week due to upcoming surgery. I asked if I could take the exam that I'd otherwise miss another day. He said no, and that I'd just have to take a failing grade, then wished me luck with the surgery. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 782
You deserved it 4 067

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Zach2014 11

I would talk to the school president and tell him what is happening. Also bing in a note from the dr.

Please, for the love of all that is good, Google it, and don't Bing it, OP.

Comments

CaitiieBuggs 23

I dunno #17. I get what you mean, but I just feel like those ones shouldn't be teaching. They don't want to be there, and most of the time the students don't want them to be there. If a person wants to make discoveries and theories, that's cool. But don't be a teacher if you don't want to teach. But I may be biased, I had a really cruddy professor who used that same logic, and claimed students are a distraction and it's a waste of time to teach us when he could be writing. He made that term complete misery.

I would go talk to someone about this. He has to be reasonable to your request.

That would have been unfair to the janitors who clean the rooms.

A professor did the same to me last semester when I had to leave the country last minute for grandfathers funeral. I had to take extraneous withdrawal to avoid an f in math because the teacher said no make up exams in the syllabus with NO EXCUSES underlined.

Wow. I'm going to guess that this is the only time you could reasonably schedule the surgery--it happens. And medical emergencies and funeral happen. Hopefully the dean/department head can help you with this. And it was really douchey to say he's going to fail you but good luck with the surgery.

What?? That's really unfair for you! People sometimes...

I know the professor's policy sucks and might seem very unfair, but he really doesn't have a lot of options. If he gives one student a "pass" he must now do so with every other student... and students without legitimate excuses will try to take advantage of the situation. You really can't understand such policies until you are on the other side of teaching. Either that or your professor is just a huge asshole

I understand a surgery is obviously a legitimate excuse. Here at my school the student would probably get an "incomplete grade" and would have to re-take the class at another time. In a class of 400 students you really get to hear a lot of "legitimate excuses". What I wonder is if OP couldn't re-schedule his appointment? Not all surgeries are created equal... maybe this one wasn't extremely important? ) (e.g. wisdom tooth removal).

That strikes me as a bit strange--the policy I'm familiar with says that in that kind of situation you can take your exam before the date (college).

That's not right. Take that up with the school.

Asstarotte 7

I wud piss on him. No but really I wud take it up with the principal or headmaster