By non believer - 23/09/2010 06:08 - United States

Today, I told my parents I no longer believe in the religion they strictly raised me under. They responded by kicking me out of the house. I'm broke, jobless, and the only person that will take me in is my psycho ex-girlfriend who never got over me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 604
You deserved it 16 463

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm all for standing up for one's beliefs, but if you knew your parents were that strict on their own, you should have at least waited until you were financially stable to say anything.

Tweety122888 0

I'm sorry op. stand up in what you believe no matter what. word of advice sleep with one eye open. lol good luck.

Comments

RedPillSucks 31

Maybe they're Amish or Meninite (sp?) and he's being shunned.

Mennonite* :] I actually wondered about that. Young people from the Amish and orthodox Mennonite communities are especially unsuited for "English" life, since they stop schooling so early. Having an ex fits too, due to the Rumspringa tradition. Have you seen "Devil's Playground" too, RPS?

Amish usually let the child (well, I forget the exact age) decide for themselves by sending them out into the "real world". Amish usually are a lot better tolerable of other religions than his folks. As for the OP, FYL. That sucks. Were you pressured into revealing your lack of faith? If it was willingly, you should have prepared by having a job/etc and then moving out.

dude. I totally know how that goes. my parents didn't kick me out but my life is worse than the rest of my familys because of constant consequenses. hang in there it gets better =

Unless the OP is a teenager. I know a family that kicked their son out of the house at the age of 17.

Steinson_ERAU 0

ugh my parents are exactly like that. they already kicked my oldest sister out b/c of religion and they threaten my other sister and me with it if we start to contradict them in any way. good luck and I'm sorry

I have a friend who still adamantly refuses to tell her parents she's no longer a Muslim, but a Christian. She always tells me it would be a bigger shame to them than her two gay brothers.

EvilDave 13

Considering turning away from Islam is a mandatory death sentence, I can see why she doesn't want to tell them.

yea maybe u should have kept that to urself until u got ur life in order duh

RedPillSucks 31

Yes evilhobbitofdoom (that makes me giggle) Switching religions is typically considered worse than other sins. I think most theocracies consider proselytizing punishable by death, or something worse. The Abrahamic religions consider a child to be an adult at around 13 (religiously, not secularly). It would be nice if they were allowed to choose their own path at that age without being cut off because of it. Although, I guess because most religions require strict adherence, few people in their right minds would suffer through some of this stuff for a vague promise of better things in some far far away time. That promise is what allows religious people to suffer through atrocities.

How did you expect your parents to react? You as much as told them their faith is total bullshit. Moron. Good luck with the clinger.