By non believer - 23/09/2010 06:08 - United States

Today, I told my parents I no longer believe in the religion they strictly raised me under. They responded by kicking me out of the house. I'm broke, jobless, and the only person that will take me in is my psycho ex-girlfriend who never got over me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 604
You deserved it 16 463

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm all for standing up for one's beliefs, but if you knew your parents were that strict on their own, you should have at least waited until you were financially stable to say anything.

Tweety122888 0

I'm sorry op. stand up in what you believe no matter what. word of advice sleep with one eye open. lol good luck.

Comments

tboy3500 0

well that sucks but all ways but you gotta stand for something!!! good thing is u can tap it when ever now !!! is she hot?

perdix 29

You should have just faked it until you had a job, some money, a sane girlfriend and a place to go. Face it, lots of people who go to religious services really don't believe in the religion, so you wouldn't be the only fraudulent hypocrite there. On the other hand, you could really rub your parents' noses in it by starting to worship your psycho ex-girlfriend. The cool thing about your new religion is that you can get sex from your god, but people who worship disembodied spirits or guys who died centuries ago cannot.

RedPillSucks 31

Perdix, I'm shaking my head, both in agreement and sadness. You've made me into a split brain fellow. I love ya man.

#280/Ayame - I think the thing you have to bear in mind when it comes to the issue of organised religions and sexuality, is that they see themselves as providing a moral framework that people can live their lives under. Obviously, the degree to which they enforce various issues varies greatly between different groups, but it's important to remember that it's their rules, and asking them to change their core beliefs to fit your individual situation is always going to create conflict (as is the case with the OP in this FML). For an extreme analogy, imagine a black person trying to join the KKK. Their membership of the organisation would be fundamentally at odds with the core values of the group. From what you've said, you're comfortable with your own choices, just find it difficult to reconcile them with the organised religions you have access to. Even though I'm not religious, so somewhat outside the system, I don't think a particular group has a monopoly on human spirituality (otherwise there would only be one religion). The way I see it, you have three main options: Find a group that accepts you for who you are, move away from organised religion, or accept that they're right and that you are mistaken with your choices. Personally, I think the first two options are the realistic ones.

SuperGoalie 0

So much for religion bringing everyone together and promoting universal love.

The general rule is not to piss off the people paying for your livelihood unless you're willing to look for a new way to make a living. Common sense would dictate that you tell your parents you have seen the error of your ways and will be going to church every Sunday or praying towards Mecca five times per day or whatever it is believers of that religion do. Consider it a form of rent. Instead of giving your parents a check every month, you show up at the synagogue (or Buddhist temple, or whatever) every week. There's nothing in an agnostic's beliefs that threatens eternal damnation for pretending to follow another religion, so the only thing that could keep you from following my little strategy is your own pride.