By Nobody - 10/10/2009 12:07 - Singapore

Today, I saw a man lying on the street. He seemed unconscious, so, being a nurse I went over and found he had choked. I removed the object from his throat and used CPR to revive him. My reward? A mouthful of vomit. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 662
You deserved it 5 201

Same thing different taste

Top comments

i think saving a life might be a reward

agree with everyone else. So you had to deal with an unappealing part of your job. I think it's worth it if it means saving someone's life.

Comments

Ok, since you are a "nurse", the first thing I would say is why the hell were you doing mouth to mouth!? Are you serious? If the patient is in cardiac arrest, AHA has found that compressions are far more effective than giving breaths, hence why they're switching to informing the lay person to ONLY do compressions. As a nurse, you should know to NEVER put your mouth on someone elses. And for anyone that says I'm wrong, do a little research. There is nothing wrong with strictly doing compressions until EMS arrives. You have seriously put yourself at risk for contracting a slew of diseases. Also, some people posting comments seem to be confused. If CPR was being performed, the patient did not have a pulse. If the patient did not have a pulse, they are dead. Absolutely 100% with fact, a dead person who is having CPR performed on them, can vomit. Not gagging vomit, but it is a result of air being forced into their lungs and stomach, and then pushing on their chest. When air gets into the belly, it's going to want to come out. If this guy choked, he was obviously eating, so we know he's got food in his belly. If you're breathing into his belly, the air will come out along with the stomach contents. Believe me, I can't tell you the number of times I've experienced this first hand, but I don't go sticking my mouth on some dead guys mouth. And no, not every person who has CPR performed ends up vomiting, but as a "nurse", I would've assumed you would have known the risk. Obviously not. Maybe you should go back to nursing school.

whatdoyoudo 2

..... or they could just be a good Samaritan and saved someone's life..... There's a limit to how long the post can be, so they couldn't put the entire process up.... they saved someone's life.... you didn't... get over it

They specifically said they're a nurse "...so, being a nurse I went over...". If there's a post limit and they are not a nurse, then that part shouldn't have even been added. I'm not quite sure why you'd think that by them saying they're a nurse, they really meant to say they're not a nurse at all. And that's great a life was saved. Any time anyone saves a life it's a wonderful thing. I've been there done that before, too. It comes with my job. It's nothing I go and brag about, though.

quiddity 0

Mouth-to-mouth can still be useful sometimes. Yes, you're susceptible to bacteria and whatnot from the victim, but that's just a chance you'll have to take if you're trying to save a life. The breath coming in can help stimulate the victim's breath again. If CPR is being performed, then the nurse or whoever obviously does not think that the victim is dead. Why would you perform CPR on dead people? The whole point is to save people who are close to dying, and sure, maybe it'll fail and they'll die anyway, but you're still trying to revive someone who is alive. Not dead. We don't do the whole, "Well, I know that they're definitely dead, but I'll perform CPR anyway so I get corpse germs all over me." I'm sure that the OP knew that it was possible for the man to vomit on her when she performed CPR on him. However, it can still be an "FML" for her, because it's clearly unpleasant to have somebody else's stomach contents in your own mouth.

I'm sorry, but you're joking right? I mean that totally seriously because I can't quite sense sarcasm over the inernet, but there is no way you're serious, right? About the whole performing CPR on people who are alive thing?

shooter308 0

Come on! Really!?! CPR on living people!?! Have you ever heard of people bragging about how the were clinically dead? Then they were revived? Do not ever do CPR on a living person. Uugghh! This shit is to complicated for most people to understand. When someone is dead, MD's or EMS decide whether or not they are dead, or whther to start CPR to attempt reviving them. They are not breathing and have no perfusion. They are either in asystole, v-fib, v-tach, PEA, etc. So go back to your scout meetings and take another CPR class you douchebags.

deoxylophone 0

As a nurse, you should have already known that it's very common for people to vomit after CPR

araf 0

a nurse isn't necessarily a woman. most of you that posted failed to mention this person is a man. FYL again.. :/.

marquisrs 0

thats disgusting stick to the heimlich maneuver

So his heart had stopped? That's intense

not to sound rude to u. im sure having puke in your mouth really is disgusting... but your reward is knowing you saved someones life. you cant put a price tag on that....

MyKillz 0

Your reward is the satisfaction of saving a life you ungrateful prick! That is your job! Sorry about the puke but you cant save someone expecting a cookie at the end!

You're a male nurse XD HAHAHAHAHAHA, good job on saving a life though :D

HAHA HILARIOUS. Jesus, how old are you? Five? It's perfectly fine to be a male nurse.

kevick93 0

it's not like he ment to, stop your bitching

Well good on ya for trying to save him :D Shame about the vomit... =