By nobodywasthere - 12/09/2017 01:30

Today, I rushed onto the metro to get to work. I found there were no seats left and asked a perfectly healthy guy to let me sit in the handicap spot. He refused to because "being tired" was a handicap characteristic. I have one leg. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 689
You deserved it 282

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Shoulda said you lost your leg on 9/11. Make him feel like a ******* ********.

Was it obvious, or did you have a prosthetic covered with pants?

Comments

Not everyone who looks "perfectly healthy" is perfectly healthy. A lot of disabilities are invisible. That said, were there no other handicap spots on the train? Somebody else could have--and should have--gotten up off their ass for you to sit down.

17uc17 3

I say that I'm disabled. There is no reason for half the comments to bully a REAL disabled person over the tiny possibility that someone MIGHT be disabled.

I didn't think pointing out that some disabilities are invisible and maybe the guy who refused to move is also disabled constituted bullying. I am fully sympathetic with OP. I have a sense of what it's like because when I was recovering from a broken wrist a couple of years ago, there was one time nobody would give me their seat, even with me asking (they just ignored me). And the big red cast on my arm was kind of hard to miss.

If he gave a valid excuse for being tired a.k.a. a type of illness, then that would be okay. However, if he just wanted to sit there, it would've been funny if you whacked him off the seat with your prosthetic leg.

17uc17 3

comments: but but but what if he's disabled too? what if you're just a horrible ableist??? me, an "invisibly" disabled person: NO you judgmental jerks. NO.

Yeah, pretty much nobody is bullying OP for being ableist. Pointing out that the guy could have an invisible disability is a valid point, especially since OP could have asked someone else, and if disabled seating is really THAT scarce, they should speak with management about that matter. You've obviously never been harassed by a visibly disabled person and their family because they didn't think your invisible disability made you "handicapped enough" to need to use the services. Or had someone try to make security or management make you surrender the disabled accessibility service you are using because they are "more disabled" than you.