By nick - 12/01/2015 08:23 - United Kingdom - Cambridge

Today, I refused to serve a woman alcohol, as she looked underage. She complained to my manager about "age racism". FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 885
You deserved it 2 737

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"Sir, I'll have you know that your employee thinks I am Younganese. This is incredibly racist, I'm clearly Boozehoundian."

Comments

It's not your fault. you only tried to do what was ethical...But doesn't UK have a very low age restriction for alcohol consumption?..18 years old?

That doesn't mean she didn't look underage.

you call 18 "very" low? I wonder what you think about some other countries ;)

What the **** is "age racism"? She should just accept she's too young for alcohol.

"Age racism" you can tell something like that wouldn't work before you can finish saying it.

I was carded a few years ago. Funny thing was, it was after I had already received two beers and only got carded when she saw my badge when I went to pay. Funny coincidence, that.

ViviMage 38

Just card her and make sure she's of age to have alcohol instead of a flat out refusal. Then welcome her back on her birthday!

Ageism, though, is actual. But in cases like these, I imagine that you should just ask for the customer's ID. After all, some people always look much younger than they are.

The OP may believe the ID to be fake. This is pretty hard to actually prove ("this picture looks nothing like you!", "Yes it does, I just got my hair done." "Well the plastic texture is also weird." "All IDs in Philadelphi are like that." "Look, you're clearly under 21" "Why, thank you. ... I'm not though.")

YDI. You shouldn 't automatically assume based on her appearance that she's underage. Ever heard of carding people?

TallMist 32

Typically, the way it goes is "Hey, I'm gonna need to see your ID" "Why?" "You look underage" "AGE RACISM!" That's how all the stories I read goes.

rachilio 26