By oh... - 20/10/2013 20:34 - United States - Springfield

Today, I realized that when my dad said he would pay for my college, he really meant that he was going to forge my signature on a student loan in my name and not make payments on it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 397
You deserved it 3 606

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't know how close you are to your dad, but that's a serious crime and you should be making a police report.

Comments

It's strange to read how so many people feel like OP should pay for his studies. Where I live the parents HAVE to pay for their children's education. It's one of their duties.

Have to? What if they're poor. Or a single parent. Or estranged from their child? How do you enforce it?

Then it must be a matter of culture. Usually, when someone goes to college, they are typically an adult, thus they are no longer legally the parent's responsibility. Morally speaking, it could go either way. On one hand, you are right, the parents should take an active interest in education, on the other hand, Adults should be mature and responsible enough to work for what they have, which is the duty of the parent to teach, thus making the kid work his way through college is something that often times goes undone, which leads to the massive debt issues plaguing the majority of Americans.

When your parent's year income is below some certain point, they only have to pay 100 euro. When you are a single parent you get a lot of financial help. And it's not always the parent, it's the person who takes care of the student. @116 I understand what you mean, but to me it just seems so strange let the student figure it out on his own. If you have a child, you should help him as good as you can to make sure he/she has a good education. And by the way, as long as I study, my parents get money from our government every month to pay for school etc. This money they HAVE to spend on their child as long as he/she studies.

Building your credit and he making the Payments win win

The problem is the OP's father isn't/wasn't making payments on the loan so that was a lose for the OP. His credit is not being built up by this, it is being destroyed.

Sweetpea22 14

Are you an idiot? OP's father is ruining his credit, not building it up

Isn't it time for you to grow up? You're going into college, you can't expect everything to be handed to you.

kitten1323 19

So that means his father has to ruin his credit? Also some kids parents can afford college, which makes it so they don't get financial aid, meaning the parent usually pays. But I don't expect you to know any of this because you probably didn't go to college, considering how stupid you are

Sir, please acquire a brain (Preferably grow one yourself) and then you might understand that his father forged his son's signature (made a fake signature), took the money and left his son to pay the debt.

What?? That's a crime & you should report it! It's also wrong to do your kid like that!

80zChyld 2

Hate to say it but I can relate

ema_stonez 19

you got an awesome role model there..

You can apply and sign online with FAFSA. There is no need to go into a bank to get the loan. all you need is a pin number.