By FATS DOMINO - 20/10/2011 15:39 - United States

Today, my sister finally broke down and told me that our dad gambled away of all my college savings, and I would have to pay for school the best way I can. They have known for months, and when I asked why nobody told me, the reply was, "You're a college boy, we thought you would figure it out." FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 603
You deserved it 2 448

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

jessesgirl14 16

If you are in good shape, you could always Strip your way thru college, OP... At least you won't have to deal with too many loans!

Ohh that sucks. Why don't you get a job and pay for your own damn school? It's not your parent's responsibility to pay for your post secondary education anyway.

alexduon 0

^ the point is that his dad GAMBLED away OP's savings. FYL OP.

So? It was his money to gamble away if he desired.

Mean_Mr_Mustard 9

74- It doesn't say that it was his dad's money saved or OP's money saved but the way it was stated it sounds more like OP was the one saving.

So his dad had access to the money OP earned and saved? Not a very strong argument..

Anai08 17

Even if the money wasn't accumulated by OP but by his parents, it's still horrible his dad wasted it. Your parents helping you with college is not something that signals a lack of responsibility in someone. School after high school can get really expensive, and if it was always OP's understanding that his parents would help, why would he have been irresponsible for not making arrangement to pay it all himself? Working and going to school is hard. Not by any means impossible, but definitely harder. It's always nice when you can just focus on your actual school work and not have one more thing to worry about.

Mean_Mr_Mustard 9

80-If you are under 18 when you make the account yes your parents would have to co-sign. It doesn't say OP is already in college, it sounds more like they are about to enter college hint the reason why OP is just now finding out. Yes, I saved for college from when I was 16 and so did both of my brothers and we all had our parents as co-signers. My little brother still has my dad as a co-signer and he is 19 already in college. Why would it be a big deal if you trust your parents? Either way, OP's father shouldn't have gambled the money away. I have a son and I will do everything I can to make sure he has the best in life even if that means sacrificing and paying for his college, that's my responsibility if I want to give him the best start I can in life. The last thing I am going to do is gamble away his college money regardless of who saved it.

96 - I'm in college with my own checking and savings account, but my mom has access to it so she can more easily get money to pay my bills (such as I'm on their cell phone plan but pay for texting), or if she wants to give me money she can just put it in herself. So if she wanted to, she could easily clean me out and go gamble it away. OP could be in somewhat the same situation, so don't be so quick to judge. And yes, I have a job, I am not relying on my parents for my sole income.

SCREAM4meee, are you the father? Or do you just have a gambling problem yourself?

I'm guessing you're dumb. I also looked at your profile and saw that you were training to be an MP- a great career choice for you! We need stupid people such as yourself to fill the more mundane roles of society. I do hope you know that OP will likely achieve more than you will in life. Also, I'm sorry that your parents didn't care too much about you, but don't take it out on other people whose parents do actually care for them.

I wouldn't say finding out last minute that your dad gambled away your college tuition money is exactly a real world situation. It's more of just having an idiotic dad.

57 you just told yourself that your attempt at humor failed.

sirhobothesecond 3
Buttsexpirate 9

Seriously. That's not cool or family like at all. I hope you bitched them out or something. Release the anger!

The only reason you didn't find out is because what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas

Except herpes, that shit'll come back with you...

melikeyturtles 3

Yeah guess OP never heard of FAFSA for student loans and even grants.

Ive never seen a male prostitute before have you?

thesoccerone7 3

They exist. I'm sure you just haven't exactly been looking out for them

My friend used to **** other men for crack. Sad times :/

lovemeganrose 0

Oh their out there.....Their just dressed like women.