By JoJo - 17/10/2009 06:26 - United States

Today, I realized that acne is a major side effect of a medication I'm taking. The medication is to help me with my anxiety. The acne is creating more anxiety. And the more anxious I get, the more meds I need. And the more my face breaks out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 064
You deserved it 5 189

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's like saying "it's not the knife sticking out of your chest that's killing you, it's your vulnerability to stab wounds." The dude can care about how he looks if he wants to. Just find a different medication.

Comments

So get yourself prescribed some acne medication. :]

greent_fml 0

YDI for having overactive sebaceous glands. oily bitch.

LemonFairy 0

FYL OP. I'm really sorry so many people are so ignorant about anxiety disorders. To all of the people there who honestly seem to think the OP deserves it: A lot of the time you can't just switch meds, especially if your anxiety/other disorder is very bad. It takes months upon months some times to figure out the proper combination of medications and the proper doses. (Not to mention a lot of people with anxiety disorders - and other mental disorders, too - have another disorder, and if you've, say, FINALLY found the combination to help with the shitty BPD you've got goin' on having to switch that AND to new anxiety meds so that they don't cross react is a bitch.) Dealing with an anxiety disorder isn't just one of those "so ******* suck it up and deal with it" types of things, either. It's not just "this makes me anxious, I'll stay away from it" because a LOT of the things that trigger an anxiety disorder you /can't/ stay away with. And they're completely irrational fears that trigger the anxiety in you. (Talking on the phone and ordering food, for example, are two very common anxieties a lot of us with anxiety disorders and panic disorders experience.) Panic attacks can be pretty hard to avoid without medication for a lot of people, and a proper balance of meds is better than being forced into a life of solitary living.

Yes, yes, yes. Thank you LemonFairy. I also have an anxiety disorder and find it very offending when people tell me to "suck it up" when they clearly don't have the slightest clue about how that kind of disorders work. As for the people who say that medication is not gonna fix anything - true, it might not. But when the disorder is bad enough, you NEED the meds to survive every day life. If we can't even do that, how do you expect us to ever get rid of the anxiety problem? The meds aren't there to cure you - they'll just help you work towards your goal. Some of the ignorant comments on this FML made me lost a little bit of my faith in humanity.. sheesh.

boatkicker 4

Thank you. I was getting sick of the people saying that it's OP's fault. Most anxiety that gets bad enough to be medicated is something that can't be otherwise fixed. I know that they wouldn't medicated mine even though i puke and/or pass out from it with some of my triggers. I've gotten really good at avoiding them, so it didn't happen often enough for them to consider it serious enough for medicating. Are phone calls a really common trigger? I didn't know how common they were but it's my worst one. I can't order food, I can't schedule a doctors appointment, its hell. I love how a lot of places will let your order food online now, and for doctors I usually go in and make the appointment in person. Silence is a trigger for me too, but that one isn't too hard to avoid in most situations. (Course it caused a lot of problems when I first moved in with my fiance. It took him a while to get used to background noise when we were sleeping, but it was better than hearing me puking in the other room.)

STFU. Stress, Depression, Anxiety is your body's natural way of telling you to change/fix something in your life. We need to get out of this "fix every problem with a pill" world. Stop being lazy, and start taking care of yourself and others.

LemonFairy 0

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who seems to get this. And I'm not sure how common it is, 94, but a lot of other people I've talked to with anxiety have that as one of their main triggers. (There are about three people I can talk to on the phone. Ordering food is out of the question that way, and in person it's pretty bad too.) And to 95: Actually having an anxiety or depressive --DISORDER-- is /not/ your body's natural way of telling you something, as indicated by the fact that a DISORDER is /not/ natural. It's something that is caused, most of the time, by a chemical imbalance in your brain that a lot of the time can /not/ be managed without some medication. Saying anxiety and depression should be managed ENTIRELY without medication is also saying that bi-polar, multiple personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, multiple personality disorder, and hundreds of other disorders should also be dealt with completely un-medicated. And as somebody who has had experience with just about all of the listed disorders (whether through myself or people I know) I can tell you that medication plays a crucial part in the day-to-day survival of life.

AndreaHatesYou1 0

YDI it for being so shallow. I have both anxiety problems and acne. If you're so shallow that you get anxious about having acne, you deserve it.

Acne is pretty bad. I don't think it's a superficial problem, it hurts and makes you look random in pictures.

isaysummer 0

Use a topical acne treatment, like Proactive or your doctor can prescribe something

fbp6277 0

wow, they stole this from a commercial.

thefame18 0

I had the same problem with antidepressants making me gain weight. 23 lbs in a year before I quit taking them. Two choices: skinny and depressed, or fat and still depressed because I got fat. Boo side effects.

ooohlife 0

there's more than one medication for anxiety

Ok, there is a lot of BS on this page about anti-anxiety drugs. There are all different kinds for different conditions, which may exist easily chemically whether from the nature of the person or conditions they are in. Regardless they do not simply empty your life and turn you into a shell of a human being, while they can effect personality generally they should be temporary and are attempting at bettering the overall situation; through depression and anxiety people can lose personality anyway. Now I actually agree that Marijuana should be legalized but to pretend that these street drugs are some wonder drugs is plain moronic, everything has side effects and simply eliminating all anxiety is bad as it removes part of being human (this is not the aim of prescription drugs). Doctors are not paid by prescription med companies to prescribe medicine, it is very illegal and closely watched (your politicians are lobbied by them though).