By cyantist - 23/01/2009 08:24 - United States

Today, I'm sick. I got the flu shot for the first time ever this year and for the first time in my life, I have the flu. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 846
You deserved it 5 186

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Essentially the INFLUENZA virus is very vicious and can cause intense problems. If you just got the "stomach flu" that actually has NOTHING to do with the flu shot, it's not even the flu. The flu shot itself is supposed to be the flu, except dead or empty shells, which tricks your immune system into seeing it and thinking it's the real thing, so it can figure out what to look for should you actually get Influenza and react quicker. Essentially it IS possible to become infected by having dormant or only half dead virus cells, but the chances are slim. Commonly though, people just refer to the flu as stomach pains and throwing up, and thusly get that after getting a flu shot then think it didn't work. Well the "flu shot" did, you just got somethin else. All in all, as #15 said, the flu shot did nothing to cause this, just coincidental timing.

carriealana 0

This is so so so so so not FML worthy. So you're sick. You got the flu. Welcome to the club, most of us have had it.

Comments

Chocolate_Chunk 2

raisethebar: congrats, you're stupid.

arehagen94 0
the_elephant_fly 3

okay, the flu shot doesn't give you the whole flu. just some of the symptoms(if you've never had it before) and it gives your body a chance to build up some immunity so that if you get the flu it knows how to fight it off. if that's not entirely correct, I'm sorry.

FreakingFYou 13

#2 & #30 you are both dumbass idiots. case closed.

Noname7453 0

That's because your immune system must have already been compromised you idiot. They inject the flu into you, that's what the shot is. You shouldn't get shots anyways. Tool

That's actually what the flue shot is supposed to do, it injects the sickness into your body so that your blood cells fight them off. Then when you ACTUALLY get the flu your body knows what to do.

mmady92 0

so the flu shot usually gives you a small case of the flu that way it gets your immune system aware for when you get a more severe case of the flu!

i bet 90% of the people on herr have no idea what they are tallking about. i bet most if not any of you are doctors, but are sure trying to talk like them.

Fortunately for regular people, how the flu shot works is common knowledge... And you don't have to be a DOCTOR to know something about a vaccine (just because YOU DON'T doesn't make it so). Idiot.

darude908 1

that's how the shots work. there's a small amount of live flu virus in them so your immune system will learn how to fight it without too much problem. however that small amount can get u sick.