By cyantist - 23/01/2009 08:24 - United States

Today, I'm sick. I got the flu shot for the first time ever this year and for the first time in my life, I have the flu. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 846
You deserved it 5 186

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Essentially the INFLUENZA virus is very vicious and can cause intense problems. If you just got the "stomach flu" that actually has NOTHING to do with the flu shot, it's not even the flu. The flu shot itself is supposed to be the flu, except dead or empty shells, which tricks your immune system into seeing it and thinking it's the real thing, so it can figure out what to look for should you actually get Influenza and react quicker. Essentially it IS possible to become infected by having dormant or only half dead virus cells, but the chances are slim. Commonly though, people just refer to the flu as stomach pains and throwing up, and thusly get that after getting a flu shot then think it didn't work. Well the "flu shot" did, you just got somethin else. All in all, as #15 said, the flu shot did nothing to cause this, just coincidental timing.

carriealana 0

This is so so so so so not FML worthy. So you're sick. You got the flu. Welcome to the club, most of us have had it.

Comments

Flu shots give you the symptoms of the flu.. How they do that is by injecting a dead flu virus in your system and cause your body to make antibodies... Also flu shots are extremely dangerous if you've never had one and you get one late in life.. They can actually kill you in rare cases. Seriously, do research before getting any antivirus shots.. It's like reading the fine print on things you sign.

gracevet88 0

U see? Proof that if the government didn't give us those vaccines, we wouldn't have those petty sicknesses in the first place

Oh, wow, there are some ignorant people here. The flu vaccine does not "give you the flu." It's a deactivated form of the virus to teach your immune system how to kick the flu's ass. There's more than one kind of flu. They vaccinate for the most common, but there's always a chance you'll get a different strain. The timing is just coincidence.

purplexpinapple 11

Yeah, duh. Don't you know anything about vaccines?

Dude that's what it is supposed to do haven't you taken a biology class?

I feel your pain OP. I learned at an early age not to get shots if I could help it, I always get sick from them. In elementary school they wouldn't let me come to class until I took my measles shot, so I took it. The next day I had measles and was out for two weeks. I got sick from the flu shot throughout high school, so when I finally graduated I quit taking shots, especially the flu shot, and have never had the flu since.

Zottenpedj 21

that is how it works, you can get sick of the shot, but next timr your body wil recognize it and cure it faster

XxQuartersxX 14

Everyone freaking knows that the flu shot gives you the flu. When I was a kid my parents would take me to get it. I always ended up getting sick with the flu. I'm 17 now, stopped getting those shots many years ago and haven't contracted that devil virus (lol) since.

Well, yes That's how they work This is nothing compared to the real flu

Maybe it was a reaction to the flu shot it self since it does have many harmful chemicals. Research what's in your vaccines before you get them!