By ThisGirl - 21/08/2012 02:30 - United States - Kennesaw

Today, I lost two terabytes' worth of photos to a friend's incompetence. He said he could save me some money and fix my slow computer for free. He ended up wiping the hard drive, and along with it, my photography portfolio from the last five years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 292
You deserved it 16 460

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This is why you have an external hard drive to save these important things onto when you are letting someone unqualified (I'm guessing) mess with your stuff.

theslimshadylp 6

Holy shit five years? I would give your friend the wrath of God if I were you.

Comments

TAKE IT TO A SPECIALIST IMMEDIATELY. Apparently it takes 5 or more wipes to fully remove a file. All it does is hide the file and mark the space as usable, and deletes it when computer memory is running low again. So, take it somewhere D:

Only if it was generically deleted. It likely was reformatted. Meaning a lot of it is gone. And if OP is cheap enough to trust something like this to her friend I doubt she has the money to dump on a data recovery specialist.

Stuff isn't really deleted untill you actually fill the hard drive back up. I did delete it once by mistake but my dad helped me out and I got all the data back. I forgot how he did it, so you should take it to a computer repair shop and ask them to recover your data.

Stuff isn't really deleted untill you actually fill the hard drive back up. I did delete it once by mistake but my dad helped me out and I got all the data back. I forgot how he did it, so you should take it to a computer repair shop and ask them to recover your data.

Back up Back up Back up!! Online and on site & you would have never lost all your Photo OP.

andrealovvve 17

That's why u can't always trust technology, u should have at least printed them at the time u took the photos or saved them on a disk or somethin

EvilGenius913 2

Try downloading a program called Recuva and see if you can't recover some of them. It saved me when my memory stick wiped out my thesis project last year.

She would have to be really dense to not have backups. 5 years and 2 terabytes? I'm not a professional and I put all my pictures on disks at the end of the year.

No backup at all, you deserve it!! did you really take that many pictures and stored them on one disk!!???

j5p332 6

They make recovery software. Unless he wiped the drive with DOD grade data destruction software (which takes a LONG time), you should be able to get part if not all of it back

And five years without a backup? Ouch, can't blame that on your friends incompetence.