By Anonymous - 12/09/2009 21:19 - United States

Today, I ignored my cat's incessant meowing, and pushed him away every time he wanted to be petted. The next time I walked downstairs I found him dead. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 660
You deserved it 96 586

Same thing different taste

Top comments

it's more like your cat's FML "Today i was dying and i was trying to say goodbye to my owner, she just ignored me. FML"

Comments

9k5 0

This is why we pay attention to our animals. Did you also find his food and water bowls empty with a few month-old dried up kibbles stuck to them?

18-I've NEVER ignored any of my cats. If they needed me, I'd give them my attention.

ElMundio87 0

your cats? clearly they own you.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
CL41RE 0

How are they a bad thing? They get food and shelter from you, you get affection and companionship from them. Both of my cats are strays that were abandoned by their previous owners. They are both much happier with a home and people who love them.

startafire 0

Domesticated animals don't do so well in the wild... There is also plenty of information on the damage feral animals do to ecosystems, so setting domesticated species free is definitely not helping anyone.

Ingrid Newkirk? Is that you? Also, I feel like the OP should have maybe suspected the cat was having a problem...maybe giving it some milk or something would have helped. Depends what the problem was I guess. Ignoring it would not have been on my to do list, though.

Obviously your not a cat owner. If you were, you'd probably know that milk would not have helped the cat out at all and could have very well caused more harm than good, depending on the cat. Most cats are lactose intolerant after they are weaned and even if they weren't, milk has no nutritional value for them and should only be given as a treat. Also, if you were a cat owner, you'd know that cats can meow a lot. I don't like ignoring my cat but at times when I'm doing work or if I'm just getting tired of his weight on my stomach, I'll push him away and ignore him. Just because you're cat meows a lot, it doesn't mean something's wrong. It could just mean he wants to be petted but that's not always possible if you're busy or trying to sleep. On the other side of this, when my cat was actually sick, I knew fairly quickly. And before you ask, no, it wasn't from constant meowing. Actually, it was because he wasn't bothering me at all that I knew something was wrong. That's right, wasn't. He was sick to the point of being dehydrated and all he did was lay around. He didn't become dehydrated because I didn't give him water, he just didn't drink it. Cats are not children. They do not need constant attention and are very independant. Half the time, I don't even know where my cat is. But I do love him and care for him and when I'm able to, give him more than enough attention. OP did not deserve this at all.

Thank god 286 you ******* rock for saying this even i it was long.

you're a piece of shit. that is all. you dont even deserve the explanation.

Please stop talking, you complete moron. Cats have been domesticated pets ever since Ancient Egypt.

I think this was phrased in a really bad way, but I also think that everyone is being a bit crazy. I'm obsessed with my animals, I love them to pieces, but to be honest sometimes I have to get stuff done and can't have them climbing all over my computer screen. I've pushed them away. Anyone who owns animals knows they cant pet them ALL the time. That being said, I think you should know the difference between a "I'm bored, play with me!" and a "I'm dying, help!" meow.

my cat is just like that with nothing wrong. He meows all day long. A few times i even took him to the vet thinking something was wrong, be he's healthy

jw90 18

well cats do get annoying. and being human we tend to ignore the constant meowing. there's nothing u could have done. but in any case ftcl(**** the cat's life)

why is everybody here so insensitive? doesnt it say above the comment thing "pleasy try and be respectful"?! she obviously feels like shit, thats why she wrote it on fml and not like, my life is awesome or something. im sorry about your cat. if youd paid more attention you may have noticed that there was something wrong, but seriously, everybody makes mistakes, even this kind of FML mistake. :/

I understand you want people to be respectful towards the OP, and the website asks that we write respectfully... but if the OP truly felt bad enough, I doubt she'd write this. You'd think she'd be too torn up inside and sad to post it on a website full of silly stories. She knew she'd get verbally abused for this, so I find it hard to believe she's truly sad about her cat.

redblueviolet 0

Maybe it's a few months/years after it happened and OP has moved on enough, or it happened to somebody else and OP thought it'd make a great FML. Or it could be fake. I agree with #28, #44 and #46. I love my dogs and our family (myself included) takes care of them all the time, but sometimes we're busy with stuff or are just not in the mood to play. Just because a person isn't compassionate and perfect all the time doesn't mean that they're a "selfish *****" or starved them. Although I can't stop everyone judging and I'm not stupid enough to try, we technically can't decide whether OP is good or bad based on one action. People are a lot more complex than that. Whether you're good or bad, that sucks OP. Not to be rude, but I'm glad I'm not you.

To #32. No, not at all. FML is a comical site. You'll notice that if you submit a truly horrible story, like you just got raped or your mom's kidney transplant didn't go through and she died, it gets rejected. The fact that this woman submitted this FML means she found it was funny, and that jackasses moderating it thought the same. They're collectively disrespecting the memory of the kitty that the woman failed to give assistance to already. She deserves every single comment she's getting, not only for what she did, but for the worse even reaction of finding it had "funny potential" enough to submit it to a comical site for heartless people to have a laugh at the death of a kitty. Stories like "My ex caught me cheating because I did something dumb" are funny, but the death of a kitty is NOT, and should never be. For thinking it was, the OP deserves all out comments about her having no sensitivity.

oogyboogy 6

FML commentors only see in black and white, either your a horrible person hate cats and wants them all dead, or pays attention to them all the time buy serlion steak for them every night and spend every last penny on them. their 30 IQ cant comprehend the idea of gray as in pay ettention to them a lot and feed them everyday buy when they need something done they cant. gray is obviusly what happened here

YOU EVIL CAT KILLER! Seriously though, most cats will shut up unless they're hungry. Try to pay attention to your cat. But I know it can be hard, not speaking the same language or anything. Really, FYL.

Next time, pay better attention to your pet(s)... aka the animal(s) YOU CHOSE to have live with you. The one(s) you basically vowed to take care of and protect. The innocent creature(s) that depend(s) on you. However, if your cat died that soon, even if you'd paid attention to him when he was meowing, you probably couldn't have done anything in time to save him, and neither could a vet, probably, even if the vet were inside your house. Unless he was choking, there are no drugs or magical cures out there that could work that fast. And clearly he wasn't choking, because he was able to meow. BUT, if you'd paid better attention to your cat all along, you would have probably noticed something was wrong. Honestly, OP, if you're not going to pay good enough attention to your pet(s), please do not get any more ever again!

Vacant 7

Wow, way to be extremely assuming. What if the cat was elderly? Or died suddenly of some sort of organ failure? I've had a perfectly healthy cat that I took to the vet six days earlier that died of a heart attack. The vet said she was extremely well too, so even if you pay attention and tend to your pet well some unfortunate things are bound to happen. Just because one of these things may of happen, it does not mean the OP is uncaring or unfit to be a pet owner. The cat wanted to be near its owner near the end, so it's pretty clear they took care of it enough to form some sort of trust and bonding.

Animals make noise and tend to bother their owners sometimes.