By Anonymous - 26/08/2013 01:28 - United States - Marietta

Today, I got screamed at by a woman at work for feeding her 3-week-old infant formula instead of the bottled Kool-Aid that she packed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 426
You deserved it 3 420

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Really hope you informed the authorities, poor, poor baby.

Comments

I swear, some people need a licence to have children. *shaking head at mother* You did the right thing OP and I hope you inform/ed the authorities because that isn't right.

I don't think grape drink helps with strong bones and healthy development.

But it's full of sugar, water and purple?

I thought grape drink was made with purple and unicorns.

That's absolutely heartbreaking. I hope you were able to talk some sense into her. This woman obviously needs help... as well as that poor baby. This is really going to bother me... I'd love an update on this. I wanna make sure that child is okay.

loveingit 7

This happens everyday in the US. Some people have no knowable on how to care of a baby nor do they want to learn. Some people just look at a baby as a paycheck. Sad to be a baby these days

strawberrywine22 30

Yup. People like that get to have children, while my husband and I (who love kids and would give anything to have one) are unable to have a baby and can't afford adoption.

hcollins1 18

It really does bother me while people like 32 that love and can properly take care of a child but aren't able to have one, people like OP are dealing with has multiple children. I've recently had to deal with my friends neighbor who had kicked AND locked the doors on their 7 and 1 year old so they could sleep. They were also terrified of a neighborhood bully and were still not able to go back inside, so I watched them for a bit. From what I'm told, they do this type of stuff all the time and they're on drugs.

UnluckyGenius 21

#80 Report the parents to the authorities.

RedPillSucks 31

@32 You can afford adoption, but you may have to go outside your race. I understand that not everyone is comfortable with that. You might also try foster care.

A three week old baby cannot process the sugars or dyes in drinks like that. This woman could be doing serious damage to that poor child. It's really sad that there are really people out there having children that are, either too stupid, or just don't care about their babies enough to do the right thing. There's a reason babies are supposed to breastfeed until they have teeth or are old enough to be able to process more complex foods. I'm almost ashamed to be in the same classification of species as this dumb broad. Sad!

It's actually been shown the average weaning range around the world is between age 4 years and 7 years. Crazy huh? I breastfeed an almost 8 months old and I am always wondering... How incredibly painful and almost weird it might be to have a 7 year old latching on my nipples.. So many teeth.. Lol. My son is still toothless so it's not so bad for us yet.

MissCharlotte_fml 26

80, I agree with you so much. My cousin is the nicest person I have ever met, and so is her husband. They are both great with kids and so loving. They tried for 15 years to have a baby, had countless invetros, spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, and basically did everything in their power to try and have kids. Along with 6 miscarriages. They finally adopted, but I know it will never be the same as having her own child. So it always angers me when a stupid, slutty girl has no trouble getting pregnant, drinks, does drugs, and smokes while pregnant, and ends up abusing or killing the kid with things like what OP saw.

While feeding an infant Kool Aid is an abhorrent idea, infants CAN process the sugars and simple dyes quite easily. In fact, some infants can't process the sugars in breast milk which are more complex than those in Kool Aid. However, OBVIOUSLY this child won't be getting proper nutrition and this should be reported, because even if the child cannot have formula, Kool Aid is not the proper substitute (though some sugar waters are).

mansen 15

sugar water for constipation in an infant is recommended by a pediatrition. That said, kool aid, that poor poor malnourished baby if that is all its mother is feeding it.

hcollins1 18

91, I fully intend to. From what I have been told, the cops get called on them at least once a month for yelling/fighting/neglecting their children and whatever else, but for some reason these trashy ass people still have those poor sweet children. My friends mother has said that she takes them in when they're not allowed to go inside their own house and feels more safe with her, and on top of that feeds the child and she is just sick of how they do this to them and how she has to do this for them. I plan on calling CPS when she does when she moves, which is VERY soon. The only reason we haven't done it just yet is because these people are crazy, have broken into my friends house and have stolen stuff and who knows what else will happen. And that day I was over and the kids came over, my friends parents were at church at the time, I had texted my friends mom letting her know that those kids were over and were locked and kicked out just so they could sleep. Just with me doing that we have some proof of the neglect. It truly does anger me that those poor children felt like they had to go to someone that they didn't even know just to feel safe because they weren't allowed to go back home.

I suppose I should have been more clear... But first... There is a possibility that the Kool-aid was made with an artificial sweetener, God forbid. That stuff is straight up poison and a baby cannot process it... no matter what the FDA says. If the Kool-aid was made using common table sugar, yes, the baby may be able to process this just fine... That being said... Kool-aid is made with an insane amount of sugar, way more than is recommended for a baby with constipation... especially if the baby is drinking an entire bottle of the junk possibly multiple times a day... and the dyes used in the drink mix have proven to be harmful to adults... The damage these dyes can do to an infant may not be immediate but can lead to increased risks of certain cancers, hyper activity, etc. later in life... Yet still earlier than the average person who isn't introduced to such drinks, and/or foods until a much later age.

loveingit 7

Wow that is just so sad. Can that be reported?

Well hang on guys while it may sound bad some babies are allergic to formula as for the kool aid well there also medical conditions that call for high sugar and/Or fat diets while having both is unlikely we really don't know if this was a bad parenting or if there was sound reasoning behind it

strawberrywine22 30

In cases like that, PediaLite (spelling?) should be given to the baby. NOT KOOL AID.

Not to mention there are tons of different formulas (soy based and etc) if the child is allergic to something in the regular formula. This is absolutely insane.

loveingit 7

You can get sugar from fruit!! No reason to give a baby kool aid!!

Even still, a 3 week old baby should not be given any food. All they should have until 4-6 months is breastmilk or formula!

Korra_fml 23

a baby should have nothing but formula or breast milk until the recommended 6 months of age (but, depending on the child, the doctor may say its ok to start them on food as early as 4 months). in cases of constipation or dehydration, fruit juice or pedialyte (respectively) should be given under the supervision of a doctor. children that young can't even process regular milk, and they even say not to give them regular water as when they're that little giving them water can completely wash out their kidneys and do harm. there is NO reason for kool-aid, soda, pop-tarts, or anything like that for any child that young. if this is how this mother feeds her baby, its a wonder it's even alive now. who knows how long he/she has left to live unless you act now and call CPS to report this. this baby's life may very well be in YOUR hands. please make the right choice!!

RedPillSucks 31

Well, most likely, the mother did not receive any prenatal counselling and is probably a young mother.

#93 Stupidity comes in all shapes and ages. We have quite a variety.

22-- I could not breastfeed (my son is 7, so I don't need lectures about wet nurses) so the hospital gave me sugar water to give him to try to make him open and latch to me. My beyond idiotic ex MIL kept giving him the sugar water just by itself and gave my son jaundice. He was in the hospital for a couple of days because of this. So, no, sugar water is not safe to give an infant. It can cause serious harm.

strawberrywine22 30

OP, I do hope you reported her to the authorities. This is one story I'd really like to see a follow-up on. I reported a mother a few months ago. I was babysitting her toddler. I got there around 9am and she was having trouble getting the child out of bed (he generally stayed up until 2 or 3am) and so she put warm coffee with loads of sugar in his sippy cup.

kaduzy 12

Georgia, huh? No wonder. Was the mother 13, or 14?

pazuzus_intern 10
strawberrywine22 30