By PsychoSarah - 06/04/2011 23:57 - United States

Today, I got fired from my job. I caught a customer taking pictures up my skirt, and my boss fired me for calling the police and "making a big deal out of it". FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 656
You deserved it 7 253

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kingtz 6

Lawsuit for wrongful termination!!!

Comments

denvan 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
WOODYfromthaBAY 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
my_usagi 0

sue them! that's not a good enough reason to fire you

I'd be talking to a lawyer. You shouldn't have to put up with that sort of stuff from a customer as a condition of keeping your job.

Why do you take sh*t from your boss? Back yourself up. Wtf? People have no self-respect. You didn't do anything wrong, the customer was being a creep. Anyway, how does that even affect the boss? ::

What's calling the cops going to do? I doubt the customer would have hung around for an hour or two waiting for the police to finally show up. Still sucks about losing your job.

Even if the customer were to leave (though I'm kind of willing to bet this is a situation where store security would be allowed to hold them there) most places have video security these days. It's possible that the store camera's caught the customer doing his photography and even if it didn't, I'm sure the OP would still be able to point out who it was on the tape.

Plus there is a good chance this person is already a registered sex offender, in which case identification of the pervert would be much easier.

Sadly...Illinois is an "At Will" Employment state, so OP can't even sue for unlawful termination since it wasn't a matter of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

I'm actually pretty sure they could sue because you can't require an employee to accept sexual harassment from people as a condition of keeping his/her job, even in an at will employment state.

Moreover, she doesn't have to win a legal proceeding. If her employer carries Employment Practices Liability Insurance, the insurer will try to settle with her as quickly as possible. And if her employer doesn't carry EPLI, I'm sure their own lawyer will try to settle as well.

She actually shouldn't sue for wrongful termination. She should sue for hostile work environment. Any company that has a policy (written or unwritten) of firing people who report sexual harassment to the proper authorities clearly is overdue for being sued.

ReynshineCutting 10

Ya suing for hostile work environment might work. As for wrongful termination this just doesn't fit the bill, like Mirobo (sorry if I spelled that wrong) said. OPs boss fired her for making a big scene. Granted, making a big scene to me is appropriate in that sort of situation, but this situation probably could have been handled a bit differently (i.e. all taken place in the office or back room or wherever other customers wouldn't be affected). The sexual harassment part has nothing to do with why OP was fired. It was the big commotion that caused a lot of unwanted attention to the business. It's definitely not right but that's just how absolutely wonderful (insert sarcasm here) employment laws work. You're basically your bosses bitch and have to do whatever they tell you as long as it's not illegal. In some states employers aren't even required to give you a lunch break if you work 8 hour days, which is total bullshit but that's the law for you.

"at will" can really suck sometimes. even when it's clear that you were fired wrongfully, it's often hard to prove. I bet her termination papers say something like "using cell phone while on the clock" (even if it was just to call police).

I'm fairly certain the "Making a big deal of it" was in reference to the OP calling the police and not that she stood shouting or whatever in front of the other customers.

Your boss is a jerk, OP. That sucks so much, hopefully you get a better boss in your next job.

i think a backhanded slap wulda been better than cops. xP

RedPillSucks 31

Then she would have been fired for assaulting a customer, and the customer could have had her arrested, as well as getting pictures up her skirt. Violence might feel good for a moment, but have consequences long after the rush has worn off.

except for she got fired anyways, but that was bull.