By Noname - 28/02/2009 20:57 - United States

Today, I got a 31% on a Chinese test at school. I moved here to New Jersey from China two months ago. FML
I agree, your life sucks 62 485
You deserved it 19 305

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Were you born in China? I mean, if you lived there for like a year, then that would make sense. Chinese is hard. If you were born there, well I don't know...

jackaaa 0

That actually happens often. I've had friends move to Mexico during high school, and they always did poorly on their English tests. It's because they go into more detail in the class than we ever did here. They concentrate on the little things we don't notice. It's normal.

Comments

@54 wtf? what you said: "Most "Chinese" language classes are actually "Mandarin." The OP could be a native Wu, Min, or Cantonese speaker - all of which are Chinese." what i said: "yes its more specific than just chinese, there are different elements to it but its all generalized as Chinese" you said the same thing i did, you just got more technical than i cared to do on this blog, and when i was in high school, the class was called Chinese, not Mandarin, or Cantonese ect. so yes Chinese isn't a specific language but generalized, like i said, yes it is a language. and yes i know Canadians don't speak Canadian, ******* asshole i used to live in Canada!

Everyone needs to stop this Jersey bashing. I love it here.

vitamin_f 0

Cantonese is a dialect. We learn Mandarin here (I'm of Chinese ethnicity but not in China), but everyone calls is Chinese. We are forbidden to speak dialects in school (Cantonese, Hokkien etc), but I hate the sound of most dialects anyway.

ionelementz112 0

@55 By elements, I didn't think you meant vastly different dialects that are together "all generalized as Chinese." I guess English and French can be all generalized as Canadian.

dude! what the ****! haha would you also guess that Nahuatl, Yucatec Maya, Mixtec, Zapotec, Otomí, Huastec, Chinantec, Tarascan, Guarijío. Pima Bajo, Kikapú, ect. are all generalized as mexican? NO you ******* prick, you wouldn't because mexican isn't a ******* language! neither is Canadian, its a type of people! so how about you just shut your ignorant ass up! because your not using a valid point. i see what your saying, chinese is a type of people not a language, but when you take the ******* class the class is called Chinese 101 you mother ****** so stop trying to act like your the most worldly man in the world, your not, your a dumbass!

What's with ignorant Americans these days? When you say Chinese, it's implied that it is "Mandarin". However, TECHNICALLY, there are many different forms and dialects. What distinguishes the dialects are mostly pronunciation and use of slang language. Chinese can be written in simplified or traditional. Some people think Mandarin is simplified and Cantonese is traditional. This is wrong. Simplified is simply a new way of writing the characters which is now adopted by most of China. HongKong and Taiwan are the only regions that officially still use Traditional characters, but it is only because Taiwan refuses to belong to a part of China, and HongKong has been legal territory of England until 1996. and yes, I have no life for writing this essay on a FML. :D

TheOrpheus 0

thats only f***ed up because you had to move to Jersey

They don't care if you're right, they care more about if you remembered all THEIR lessons correctly. Pretend you're an idiot to Chinese like the rest of the class and you'll pass with flying colours.