By effiestonem154 - 02/04/2013 21:14 - United States

Today, the Chinese student I've been teaching English to got on stage in front of hundreds of people to read her final essay. She ended with, "What a fucking day." I don't swear, and I no longer have a job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 354
You deserved it 2 861

Same thing different taste

Top comments

As a speaker of Chinese and Spanish, I can say firsthand that lots of innocent words in a language can end up sounding like others, especially when there's an accent involved and you're not careful. Try to talk to your student and help her understand the meaning of what she said, how it shouldn't be used in a professional setting, etc... and maybe work on her pronunciation! Alternatively, find out who thought it would be funny to teach her that word. Then kick their ass.

Comments

PrinceDarko 13

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

OP no longer has a job..... too late to turn on their resignation

iLike2Teabag 27

OP could say that the student had Tourette's, maybe. Tourette's guy certainly seems to get away with a lot of cussing in public.

Huh, the fml went into tl;dr territory for him, since he wanted to be number one..

countryrose92 23

It's very easy for people who are learning a new language to also learn the in wanted words because they are said so often around them. Op should have read over the essay first though.

Well I actually assumed that it wasn't in the essay, but was instead an exasperated remark the student made after finishing.

NickaPLZ 26

I'm still gonna say YDI. It sounded like OP was just trying to cover their ass so they don't get raped btw YDI button lol well I'm not buying it ;)

As a speaker of Chinese and Spanish, I can say firsthand that lots of innocent words in a language can end up sounding like others, especially when there's an accent involved and you're not careful. Try to talk to your student and help her understand the meaning of what she said, how it shouldn't be used in a professional setting, etc... and maybe work on her pronunciation! Alternatively, find out who thought it would be funny to teach her that word. Then kick their ass.

I am not sure it would help, if OP already lost their job and all.

shyeahh_fml 19

It isn't extremely uncommon for people to get their jobs back after explaining a misunderstanding.

Learning swear words in another language is middle school 101. I don't speak Spanish but can still say a whole lot of cuss words in Spanish. So, she probably already knew how to say it.

ya but words from the same language have different meanings for different regions. For example I know words that are innocent to Spanish speakers from Puerto Rico but extremely offensive to Spanish speakers from Mexico. I always thought '****' would be pretty universal though, but who knows...its so commonly used these days I can see where someone might get confused if they don't know better.

bamagrl410 31

I feel like OP should have taught her that certain words aren't acceptable or polite to be sure that she didn't use them. If she's still in the process of learning, then more than likely she didn't know what it meant or was trying to use a different word.

Not to be the pessimistic commenter of the thread, but seriously, what other word could she have been trying to say in the sentence, "What a ******* day."? I don't think either ducking, or lucking, or bucking would've been a suitable replacement.

I don't think she misspoke, I think she misunderstood the word meaning.

Like some people say that with a happy face but mean it sarcastically. She must have thought they were being serious.

They just fire you without even checking the paper for proof that that's written? Wow.

perdix 29

#10, who else would it be? That's not a really good pick-up line. I hope your PM to #8 was a little more clever than that (and not just "ur hot"), you schvitzer!

StarThrower 17

#27 I feel like in a weird way you just stood up for my honor there...I liked it :D #10 Is it me? Or is the legend true, and there are there really no girls on the Internet? I guess we'll never know...

perdix 29

#51, aw, that's OK, but later on I egged him on to PMing you. I figure that way, you can deal with him or decisively reject him. Yes, I have found that there are some girls on the Internet, but you have to land a lot of catfish until you find a real one.

Megan639 16

**** that kid. Don't they know they just got you fired?