By allergic - 21/10/2010 03:12 - France

Today, I found out that I have a gluten allergy. What this basically means is that I can't eat anything with wheat in it; bread, pasta, cake, you name it. I am Italian, this basically limits me from eating any of the awesome food my family makes almost every night. Here I come plain rice. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 728
You deserved it 3 297

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There are gluten free flours out there -not at good as the real thing but still work-able. it's awful at first but eventually you learn to adapt and barely even notice the difference.

I've got that too ;( Believe me that sucks!

Comments

I'm gluten intolerant, there are literally hundreds of gluten-free breads, pastas, cakes and biscuits out there. It's really not the end of the world.

my boyfriend is celiac and I make homemade pasta for him along with using store bought gluten free rice noodles. it's a different texture but you get used to it, you can even buy bread now and crackers and cereal. I'm not even a celiac and I eat, bake and cook all gluten free by choice. I've made gluten free Alfredo sauce, ravioli and just last night I made spaghetti. we eat tons of pasta, at least 4 to 5 times a week.

That really, really sucks for you. My mom has celiac disease and loves foods like pasta and bread, so I can empathize. The good news is that there are constantly more and more tasty gluten-free foods coming out, so you have options besides just rice. Making your own pasta and bread is another really good alternative, as a lot of people here have said. Also, after a few months on the gluten-free diet, my mom said that she felt so much better health-wise that it was worth it to make the dietary sacrifices.

You know they make TONS of gluten free products these days, right!? Just look at the labels in your super market before buying them...

well It can't have limited you much before u found out u were allergic. just carry on eating the goddamn food. jeez

sucks for sure but there are a lot of things you can substitute Rice noodles are a common choice and kamut and spelt flour products are becoming very easy to find. Look on the internet for info and you will find recipes for tons of stuff you can eat.

Don't forget beer! You can't have that either!