By frigid - 12/10/2011 01:05

Today, I found out my landlord is too cheap to turn up the hot water tank enough to have a comfortable shower. There's a huge padlock on the door, she won't budge, and I'm signed in until December. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 969
You deserved it 2 337

Same thing different taste

Top comments

nomudkips 4

You need to keep your water heater at 140F/60C, otherwise Legionnaire's disease bacteria can grow inside the tank. It should be 125F/50C at minimum.

Check renter's rights in your area. There may be a standard your cheap ass landlord has to abide by.

Comments

bubo_fml 10
texas_redneck88 10

Break the damn lock and turn it up yourself

Landlord-Tenant Tribunal to the rescue. Withhold rent until she starts to freak out; if she doesn't turn up the ******* heat, you pay only 50% (don't buy cool, expensive stuff with the rest, just keep it aside). When she tries to evict you, she'll open herself up to the provisions (read: protections as a tenant) affortded to you through legislation. When/if they find out that you couldn't have a hot shower because she's a cheapskate, you win (and maybe keep your cash through retroactive restitution - failure to provide services).

There has to be some law to protect that plus winter will freeze the pipe more easy

Illegal. She's breaking code, she needs to provide adequate living conditions including heat and hot water.

Well guys, I took your advice, picked the lock, and turned it up a bunch. I tryed talking to them but they are just crazy about it, and on top of it they barely understand english. On the bright side just two more months.

Tell your landlord that if the hot water isn't turned up, you will withold your payments until you have an acceptable level of hot water. Make it clear that if he makes it too hot, that you will continue to withold. Put it in writing and keep a copy for yourself. Also, make sure your lease says hot water. If he tries calling your bluff, put your rent into its own account to show the court when he tries evicting you that you have the money set for him.

check out landlord tenant act - if you cannot afford representation, they'll provide some, down with the douchebag landlord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!