By Anonymous - 30/12/2010 01:17 - Australia

Today, I finally found the words to describe how I felt after 2 years of depression. I asked on Yahoo Answers what I should do next. The most 'helpful' answer told me to go on a picnic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 587
You deserved it 27 948

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why would you ask random online strangers? Correct me if I'm wrong, but therapy seems much more logical...

picnics are very calming and relaxing :) stop whining op!

Comments

justbigbs 6

You're on the right track, you should read all the posting here to get some cheery moments. Do things you like to stimulate your mind, I'm not sure about pills, not a big fan of them, I don't know why people would like to take them. Yahoo answers are pretty good, going out side and get some fresh air is relaxing if you like the openness. But if you're in a city you need to go the suburbs or out of town, city noises are good for you.

Some people HAVE to take medication because their bodies can't naturally produce the natural chemicals and receptors that help make a person happy (serotonin, dopamine, noradrenaline).

thamavrikx7 0

that's interesting, well you what makes me sat? You do! why don't we chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence ya jack wagon!

heyyouyeahyou 0

um, yahoo answers probably isnt the best resource of ideas......

Depression is serious. You are not going to get your answers on the Internet. See a medical doctor to get a checkup and discuss your problem with them. See a psychologist for therapy. The two of them should collaborate on meds for you. You may need to see a psychiatrist to get the right meds and the right dosage, too. It will take time. You have to be your own advocate during this process. Study depression and its treatments so that you understand what is going on. Don't take any doctor's word for it. Know what is happening and why. I do speak from experience, from a Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) diagnosis. It's not fun. Get help. The "Crazy Man" moniker is the inside joke on this story. A friend of mine wrote a book that you might want to read, too. It is Irrational Medicine by Jeff Wilson. You can find it on Amazon. He discusses depression and other mental problems and how they may be treated without meds, or at least with minimal medication.

Basically what this guy said, but an additional YDI because you went to Yahoo Answers, a place that is prominently featured in the "Art of Trolling" website. It's there for a reason.

Clonedskin 0

Yahoo and FML are the same....Trolling.

Mya_86 0

Maybe next time seek real help and not yahoo. Dumbass

Sparkiee93 3

Yahoo answers is not a credible source for serious therapy. You want help? Coming from a person who struggled with depression from the age of 11 on... NO one can help you, exept you. Being happy is honest to god a choice that you have to make on your own. Do things that make you happy everyday, when your sad stop being sad and be awesome instead. Go vegitarian, give up smoking or drinking and detoxify your body, when your body is happy so are you.

Well, although I think it's nice that this apparently worked for you, being happy is NOT a choice. If you're really depressed, doing things that make you happy won't make you happy, like #25 pointed out. You can't just stop being sad, it doesn't work that way. Depression is not just something in your mind, depressed people miss certain chemicals in their brain. Medication can help, but it doesn't for everyone. So many people claim to be depressed these days when all they're experiencing are just sad feelings like everybody does from time to time.

#68 So true. For people who truly have depression (vs. being depressed), being happy is not a choice. Depression is an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. People with depression can't just get up and say, "Golly gee, life isn't so bad!" They need actual medical attention in the form of medication and therapy.