By farrahfarrest_ - 02/07/2009 19:49 - United States

Today, I went to the doctor. I told her I felt down all the time. She asked me a few questions and she told me I was depressed. She suggested to go home and find the sources of my depression. When I told my parents, they started laughing and said "Yeah, right." I think I found my source. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 673
You deserved it 3 827

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ghost_light 0

To those who are falsely equating depression with being emo: **** you. Despression is a legitimate illness that can be as debilitating and painful as any other, and you should hope that you never find yourself drowning in it. It is NOT simply a "state of mind" and cannot be alleviated just by merely wishing it away; for many it takes years of therapy and sometimes medication to finally get out of it. Seriously--cut the ignorance and pick up a book.

hellobananas 0

Sometimes parents think it's "just a phase" and that the kid'll get over it. That doesn't mean they should laugh though. If you said the doctor told you you were depressed, then FML. If you just left that part out, then it's more of a YDI. Either way, sorry bout that. Being depressed sucks, and if your rental units don't even know or care... I've been there.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
easylazy 0

#1 even if your parents are dead this isn't a lets see who's life is more messed up. Everyone has issues, but parents should be supportive but sometimes they aren't good at that...I live with family that doesn't know how to do that. Talk to them seriously about it if it bothers you that much. Dwelling over your parents response your depression won't get you anywhere in life. FYL for having parents who don't get it, but put your big kid pants on and man up.

What is with story-topping? It's just plain annoying You're also effectively BOASTING about your parents not being around. How can you actually do that?

infowarrior 0

Maybe if the OP didn't spend all their time talking about how their life is ******, and got a ******* hobbie they wouldn't be 'depressed'. Depression isn't the same thing as being EMO... YDI.

MrGlad 0

Today, I relized that I am an average human being. FML

yes. well probably not but i went to a therapist and they can't do everything for you. they talking things out with you and then you find where the source is. they just help you get there.

Simple: the numbers show the order in which the posts were made, but the posts appear in the order of the replies. (i.e. lets say this post is the 99th one made. It will show as being post #99, but it will appear below post #69, since that's the one I'm replying to.) Clear enough?

You are a ******* piece of shit. How can you say that?? I have been in the same place as the OP, and I still am. I have great friends, and most of my (indirect) family is great, but I am still like that. Depression is a chemical imbalance, you can't help it, or "just get over it". It doesn't work that way. It's the same as if you had a broken bone. You can't just go "OK, bone, heal!" and have it heal. So shut the **** up you asshole. Oh and OP: I'm sorry :( Hopefully you're old enough to be able to move out soon :( (And you might just wanna add a "**** you bitches" on the way out the door)

MeganH0LLYW00D 0

Stop saying 'yo'. You sound so stupid.

Hey #1, congrats, I bet your parents are real proud in heaven of what a piece of shit son they have. Way to go.

springbirder2 0

0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks! 0bama Sucks!

I think 'sick' describes the boasting about parents being dead. TO OP - Ignore them. If they don't want to support you, don't support them when they need help with an illness of some sort. Why should you when they don't bother showing even a minor amount of interest or care?

MasterModeraor 0

"You felt down all the time"... yeah i would b depressed if I were you too if you have to resort to masturbating cause you can't find a man. Guess your mom doesnt understand that.

@ 78 - "Depression is a chemical imbalance, you can't help it, or "just get over it". It doesn't work that way." Actually, to some degree, you can, and it does. I had some pretty ass-kicking depression for several years. An endless parade of new drugs and different therapists didn't do shit about it until one day I decided that I wasn't going to let some neurotransmitter imbalance control my life anymore. Don't get me wrong, the drugs and therapy are necessary, too...in fact, without either of those things I probably wouldn't have been able to make that observation. My point is that you can be taking the best pills available and seeing the smartest shrink in the world and none of it will actually fix you if you're not determined to get completely better. I'm not saying that depression is all in your head, or that depression sufferers are choosing to be sad, or that one day you should just be able to wake up and go "okay, I'm happy now." I'm only saying that willpower is a significant factor in the speed of one's recovery.

killabee 0

I think maybe the point was to show people complain about their P.O.S. parents all the time, while others wish they had parents to complain about. A little (okay a lot) of insensitivity about depression, does not mean you shouldn't be thankful you're parents are still around.

cradle6 13

I found drugs useless in depression and wouldn't recommend them due to how dangerous they can be. there are ways to get over it but it's not easy. no easy fix

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It's kinda hard just to "get over" something like that. You need support, therapy, sometimes medication. Sorry to hear your parents would say that to you!! I hope things get better for you.

People misjudge depression all the time. I was diagnosed with clinical depression about a year and a half ago and it's still difficult to deal with. You can have the best life and still not feel good about yourself or your surroundings. There's no "getting over it," but you can learn to find ways of coping (without using self harm) and surround yourself with loving, positive people. And I learned that those people, unfortunately, aren't always your family.

You can't just "get over" depression.... It's a mental disorder sooooo

tjoetjoe 0

parents can be like that, because they feel they failt if you get deprest, it was the same whit mine

No your parents really did fail with that spelling.

I could understand if you were half your age typing like this but you're 26... Anyway to reply to your comment, I agree. My parents ignored the symptoms for a long time because they didn't want to believe that their little girl could be dealing with such dark emotions.

NGM_47 0

Well maybe they thought you were joking?

Yeah... I'm not sure why, but a lot of parents aren't as supportive as they used to be. Mine tries, but fails.

hellobananas 0

Sometimes parents think it's "just a phase" and that the kid'll get over it. That doesn't mean they should laugh though. If you said the doctor told you you were depressed, then FML. If you just left that part out, then it's more of a YDI. Either way, sorry bout that. Being depressed sucks, and if your rental units don't even know or care... I've been there.

How it is a YDI just because they might have left out the doctor? If I had a child and they said they feel 'depressed' I'd be worried, doctor or not.

Hopefully you don't have to live with them much longer and you get a good therapist to help you. Parents can suck. I'm sorry.