By Stupidteach - 11/11/2009 12:47 - United States

Today, I asked my father for some help paying my college tuition. He told me he'd help me after I become more accredited than he is. My father has 2 PHDs. I'm studying to be an elementary school teacher. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 071
You deserved it 3 943

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"when you get a full time job paying 50,000 a year then yes I will" "... But dad I want a lollipop!" This works in basicly the same way as said fml. Kinda harsh.

Comments

s1w1111 2

Enough with the entitlement mentality. Parents don't owe their children college educations.

this is ridiculous... in this day any age, 2009, parents absolutely owe it to their children to do everything they can to make sure they are properly educated.... this means have a little bit of money for them so they can get educated past high school.

College costs can be huge depending on where you go. It is likely more than a little bit of money.

perdix 29

I agree with jennifer. In today's world, it is very difficult to make a decent living with just a high-school diploma. The reality is that for your kid to be able to do well in this world, a bachelor's degree has become the minimum level of education. Sure, there are going to be some outliers who can succeed very well with less education, but if you want your kid to have the best chance for a good life, you must send them to college. It is irresponsible to bring a kid into this world without having some plan to get him or her through college. They may have to take some loans, but you have to contribute enough that they are not crushed by debt upon graduation.

myksbrain 0

I disagree with Jennifer. Education of citizens is one of the few legitimate functions of government. Just as there are public schools through 12th grade, there should be public schools that are supported by taxpayers available to obtain advanced degrees. I put myself 100% through college (186 semester hours). I borrowed huge sums and worked full-time. It took me a long time, but I feel absolutely no obligation to pay for my children's college. Making people pay for their children's education is elitist and favors the rich. Education should be an entitlement.

Nobody's MAKING parents pay for their children's college education, full or partially. It's just a nice thing to do, especially since you supposedly love them and want the best for them. Nothing wrong with helping out every now and then. After all, you'd expect them to help you, yes?

anonymous100000 17

#63 no. my parents aren't helping me pay for college. I have loans grants and scholarships and I'm making it just fine. it's a privilege to go through college and I didn't expect my parents to help pay even though they want the best for me. they help feed me of course, but I'm on my own for paying for my education and board. it's just to give me a shove out in the real world...to teach me responsibility and pay bills and learn that everything won't come to me on a silver platter.

I feel like parents really ought to be obligated to help their kids if they can. I mean, he had a kid and that's his responsibility. And I got the implication that the dad has the capability to pay, which may mean that FAFSA doesn't apply here if OP lives at home.

Yeah that sucks. He doesn't have to pay all your tuition, even helping out a little would be nice. I really think that if parents are in a position to help their kids with tuition, they should. Especially to avoid the big black hold of student loans.

mj2123 0

No, not all parents are able to help their children with college tuition, but unless the child is divorced from his/her parents, the FAFSA will include the parents' income in the amount of aid available (at least in the US). And yes, I do believe that parents are obligated to help their children with educational expenses to the best of their ability.

anonymous100000 17

you're a fkn adult when going off to college. it's time to grow up and pay your own tuition. if you can go out and buy booze/cigarettes and party while in college, you should be expected to act like an independent adult and pay for your tuition. college is the time for reality to hit and realize mommy and daddy won't be able to help you in the real world.

oh wow! you are the deffinittion of FAIL! you suck! your dad is most likely wealthy, he has two PHD's why waist his money to teach a worthlewss job! i can see it now "honey i just gave away 40% of my bone marrow to pay for five minutes of power!" wow get a better education dumbass and maybe get somewere in life! jesus! you suck how do you study to become an elementry teacher? this is so fake and if it is not? well you need to go somewere to get some help. because? YOU SUCK!

... I must admit, I'm confused. Do you think teachers just walk into an elementary school and be like "Hey! I want to be a teacher!" without a degree?

boatkicker 4

I don't know about rules in California (where OP is from if you didn't catch that) but I know in Massachusetts you have to have at least a masters degree to teach elementary school.

Your an idiot and you suck! Do you seriously think that anyone off the street can teach elementry school? What a dumbass!!

any parent that is able to contribute at least a bit of money to their child's education but won't is an asshole. I hate people who whine because they had to pay for their own college and then go bitch about the students whose parents are helping with tuition. It doesn't mean they're spoiled, it just means that your parents are cheap douchebags.

Pepe_Silvia 0

It's not your parents job to pay for your post highschool education, this is hardly an FML

anonymous100000 17

I agree. people think that everything will be handed to them on a silver platter. college is the time for mom and dad to let reality smack idiots like OP and mosr commenters on here in the face. in college, you are an ADULT. people need to learn the weight of paying bills and making something from yourself without any help. because that's how the world works.

Looks like your in the wrong field. Haha **** tard

ozymandias_fml 0

a) you are in college, which implies you are an adult. Pay for it yourself. b) your father's reply implies that he did it without help. Good for him. Bad he raised a mooching daughter, but good for him, academically. c) Elementary Ed? You need help paying for that? Go find some cans in the ditch and return them for the deposit. Ought to cover it.