By Anonymous - 17/10/2012 10:15 - Australia

Today, for the second time, I met the man I'm having an arranged marriage with in 3 months. I'd previously met him last night, while he was mugging me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 100
You deserved it 3 363

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Zoh_Aubrey 8

The arranged marriage is really the worst part of this FML.

This is one of those situations I really want to hear more about.

Comments

Iniezian 18

Since this is coming from Australia, I'm gonna guess that she's Indian, since Australia has a fairly large Indian population. And to all those saying "tell your family to go to hell", etc, her family is probably old school traditionalist. Meaning that the daughter does not leave the house until marriage. Meaning OP is not independent, and the only way for her to become independent is to run out into the world and start waiting tables and living in a dilapidated apartment with roommates. Personally, if I was OP, I would run away. Better than being a slave to first my parents and then my partner for all my life.

Iniezian 18

Think before speaking. Do you even know how women are treated in such cultures with arranged marriages? OP is likely living with her parents due to the cultural demand that she not leave the house until marriage. To find true love, OP must first escape dependence on her parents, and risk homelessness doing so. Before true love, there is finding a job, probably a minimum-wage one, and then finding a place to stay.

surely, they're not letting you go through with this after what happened?? right...?

DO NOT ENTER INTO THIS MARRIAGE! The anger your family may/will have at your noncompliance is nothing compared to the lifetime of misery you're being set up for. I know it's a difficult choice but you've only got one life...whatever your thoughts on religion or reincarnation may be, YOU in THIS SKIN RIGHT NOW will only exist for a brief while on the planet. Don't contract yourself out for filial approval. It's a bitter cup you'll have to drink from every day until it fills you.

CountMango 5

Last I checked, Australia doesn't follow arranged marriage laws. You're free to do whatever you want, OP.

PLEASE PLEASE don't go thru with this:( RUNNN

If you have the means, or even if you don't, get away from him. Do not marry that man. Run!

arranged marriages are illegal in Australia op if you don't like him get out of it

Australia is pretty multicultural. I'm not sure if arranged marriages are illegal here but I'm pretty sure we introduced a whole heap of laws recently that made "forced" marriages illegal (in other words, an arranged marriage without consent or made under duress).

So your parents are finally letting you out of the basement??