By Anonymous - 17/10/2012 10:15 - Australia

Today, for the second time, I met the man I'm having an arranged marriage with in 3 months. I'd previously met him last night, while he was mugging me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 095
You deserved it 3 363

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Zoh_Aubrey 8

The arranged marriage is really the worst part of this FML.

This is one of those situations I really want to hear more about.

Comments

Angelrose2004 17

This has to be the biggest FML I've ever read. Fyl if you can't get out of it, OP!

Well at least the ice had been broken and you were already past the awkward "Getting to know you " stage during the second meeting. You really need to look at the bright side of things.

Hey at least in the near future, what his is yours. So you'll get your stuff back OP

I didn't even know there we still arranged marriages. I'm pretty sure you're aloud to opt out of it OP. And if not deny him sex, and if he's a human male, he'll leave you.

Or rape you... But maybe I'm stereotyping arranged marriages too much.

*allowed Human male? As opposed to a reptile or...

aliciaanomalyyxo 12

Or rape you, especially is he is used to takin things by force .. Guys don know what no means now a days unfortunately

mouras 5
BubbleGrunge 18

The fact that there is still a prearranged marriage is the worst part of this FML! OP I strongly suggest speaking to your parent; if he mugs just anyone on the street, what would he do to his wife? Good luck OP, hope everything works out for your benefit!

davek 36

If you are being forced into this marriage, and you need help, you can go to the police.

FML is supposed to be funny, but this is so sad... I'm really sorry OP. aranged marriages are awful! I wish there was something I could do for you... Stay strong, love.

By the way, you live in Australia? Aranged marriages aren't allowed there, are they? Go to the police!

Arranged marriages aren't illegal. I know a couple who had their marriage arranged by their families, and met one time before they were married. They are the most content couple I've ever seen.

Yeah, but what about the people who aren't happy in their aranged marriages? There Are a lot of those people! And sometimes, marriages aren't that easy to get out of. There could be s lot of reasons why people don't get divorced.

Yeah, but I mean marriages in general can be tricky to get out of for many different reasons. Like in some cultures it would be "bringing shame to their families" and things like that.

skyeyez9 24

Women forced into arranged marriages are teated as property. If they leave, they may get a cup of acid dumped in their face. The only one happy in an arranged marriage is the man, cause he is usually a 40yr old pedo getting married to a 13yr old.

The divorce rate in arranged marriages may be much lower, but how many arranged marriages are actually happy? That's not something that can be statistically calculated. On the other hand, how many of those self-chosen marriages could have worked out if only the couple were willing to try harder to work things out? I seriously doubt that getting set up for marriage is some magical key to happiness. My theory is that it's an expectation thing. Couples who choose to marry one another expect to be happy, so if they find that they are not happy, they are more willing to get divorced. On the other hand, couples in arranged marriages probably don't have any expectations in their marriage and simply hope for the best, so they're willing to endure much more grief and hardship before divorcing. In any case, though, OP absolutely should NOT marry that man.

LiterOfCola 16

The idea of an arranged marriage seems ridiculous to me and I'm generally open-minded. The reason why their divorce rates are lower is that once they're in the marriage, they don't know how much happier they'd be out of it and if they do know that, they don't want to be frowned upon by everyone in their culture for divorcing.

You guys are missing the point that forced marriages and arranged marriages are different things. Arranged marriage is a matchmaking practice by the parents, and consent has to be given by both potential partners. In forced marriages, which are what you are thinking of, the marriages are enforced by coercion and/or violence. It helps to use the proper terms.

TheDrifter 23

If only mods could be thumbed up. My parents marriage was arranged, they were introduced by my grandparents as potentially right for each other. There were good and bad years, but they went a lifetime agreeably side by side.

LiterOfCola 16

Sirin- you're correct. My bad for not using the proper terminology. Nonetheless, in an arranged marriage isn't there still a lot of pressure? It's not forcing but pressure is still wrong in my opinion.

You're a little ignorant about what an Arranged marriage is.

spiritfang11237 16

I would be scared if I was OP. Arranged marriage to a mugger... may I suggest learning MMA?

noisebox 1