By augiedd - 05/03/2014 02:46 - United States - Schaumburg

Today, after weeks of summoning up the courage to come out of the closet to my best friend, I told her I was gay. Immediately after she started cracking up, thinking it was a joke. I was so confused and nervous, I went along with it. She still thinks I'm straight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 822
You deserved it 7 457

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, just go on about your life as normal. If any incident were to leave her shocked, just whip out the "I told you so!"

Even though your friend laughed, you should have stuck with it.

Comments

She may have been nervous or shocked at your revelation and laughed in response. As for you, OP, I can only imagine what someone goes through before decided to come clean about his/her sexuality when it doesn't conform to the majority. Wait a few days, and the next time you talk to her, let her know you weren't kidding and that coming out to her wasn't easy. Take care, OP.

DishnobFruitCum 5

I've never understood why people feel the need to "come out of the closet" to others. Really, your sexuality is no one's goddamned business but the person(s) with whom you choose to have a sexual relationship.

I'm a bit two-sided on this. I do agree it's something that shouldn't be necessary to tell others when it's not their business, but at the same time, most people expect you to tell them. Speaking from experience from coming out as trans, it can also be a huge relieve for the person when it's finally out in the open. It's also nice to have a friend or familymember to talk to when you're struggling with it.

Well, not telling people close to you can potentially create awkward situations later, such as when you bring a date of the same sex to a wedding or some other event. Can you imagine, "So who is this? Your... Your... BOYFRIEND??? Oh! Well, that's... Uh... Cool. Oh, no, nothing, nothing. I'm just... Uh... Oh! I love this song! Gotta hit that dance floor! See ya!"

I had a similar reaction when a family member came out to me. It wasn't disapproval, it was just a go-to-reaction because i was surprised at the sudden information. I had always kinda known though. If she really is your best friend she may have always had an idea this were the case. Try talking to her again and don't worry about her reaction. If she's a true friend she will be your friend unconditionally. You have to be yourself though. There is no reason you should be keeping a part of you locked inside. Those who are worth being by your side, will be there no matter what.

Freedom92 12

Keeping in mind that she is your best friend after all, next time this conversation comes up again, I'll bet she'll be posting the FML next.

Let her walk in on you sucking some guy off. Then she'll freak out and have to believe you

you should tell her how it made you feel to be laughed at and be serious. she'll get it

Just tell her you weren't joking. I know, it can be hard and a bit awkward, but you have to try.

Don't be afraid op believe in the bacon midgets and the mustached unicorns

You're a man whose best friend is a girl, most of the time it's assumed you're gay, and she probably knows.

By your logic then I must be a lesbian since not only is my best friend a guy, I actually don't have any female friends. Better go tell my boyfriend the bad news...

My best friend of 8 years is a guy and he's not gay so way to be so judgmental...smh

I beg to differ. especially since my best friend and I had been seeing each other for a year and a half.