By augiedd - 05/03/2014 02:46 - United States - Schaumburg

Today, after weeks of summoning up the courage to come out of the closet to my best friend, I told her I was gay. Immediately after she started cracking up, thinking it was a joke. I was so confused and nervous, I went along with it. She still thinks I'm straight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 822
You deserved it 7 457

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, just go on about your life as normal. If any incident were to leave her shocked, just whip out the "I told you so!"

Even though your friend laughed, you should have stuck with it.

Comments

Ah, that sucks. Next time, since it really matters to you that she knows, don't go with it and show her that you're absolutely serious. Or perhaps there won't be a next time, you'll get a spouse, and she'll realize you meant what you said. Either way, in all likelihood she's going to find out since she's your best friend, so...sooner than later is best. :) On another note: There are lots of people--LOTS--getting unnecessarily defensive over nothing. The only thing the friend did wrong is not take it seriously the first time she heard it, and I honestly can't blame her. Stuff like that can come as a surprise.

Just wishing you good luck. I know it is hard!!

Wow, what an asshole, don't worry what others think. Find a new bestfriend :(

Good luck OP, you've said it once and I'm sure it'll get easier. (my sister was the same when I told her)

On one hand: the friend shouldnt have laughed or assumed it was a joke.. In the ither hand: the shock of being told something big like that from someone you dont susspect could lead to initial disbelief. With that being said, i dont feel bad for the op as he could have not gone along with his friend's laughing and turned the mood serious and made her see he was telling the truth. He'd already had the courage to come out and say it, even being silent in her laughter could have stopped her.

As a gay man myself you should make your friend watch shows and movies like "will and grace" "ru Paul's drag race" "tu-wan-fu" "golden girls" as well as listen to Celine dion with her. Let's see what she says after that.

swagaliousness 7

Wow they didn't take u seriously jeez how mean!!!!

Reminds me of when I came out to my mother and told her I was bisexual. She replied 'no you're not' to which I said 'OK, by the way, Jen is staying over tonight.' (I'm a woman) Suddenly she believed me.

I feel your pain, OP. I've been coming out to my mother for years, over and over, to just about no avail. I've been with my fiancée for two years now, and just this past summer my mother asked me if I was gay.