By augiedd - 05/03/2014 02:46 - United States - Schaumburg

Today, after weeks of summoning up the courage to come out of the closet to my best friend, I told her I was gay. Immediately after she started cracking up, thinking it was a joke. I was so confused and nervous, I went along with it. She still thinks I'm straight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 818
You deserved it 7 456

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, just go on about your life as normal. If any incident were to leave her shocked, just whip out the "I told you so!"

Even though your friend laughed, you should have stuck with it.

Comments

andits 21

Time for a new friend? Maybe someone who's more serious and supportive...

the0ddest0ne 5

Obviously getting a new friend because of this one incident would be irrational; she just didn't expect you to be gay and that's perfectly okay as the natural assumption for these things is that someone fits the "norm" (shall we say). You shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable because of this and you shouldn't have to spend more time lingering on it and trying to come out to her again, the best thing to do would be continuing on life as usual and then, when the situation arises (i.e., you get a boyfriend or a crush) and you tell her, she'll understand it wasn't a joke and she'll most likely accept you because you're her best friend and I can tell you firsthand, having a gay best friend is like something out of a fairy tale to girls.

that sucks:/ but goof lick next time(: hope she'll understand!

Rainhawk94 27

Are you that lazy to proofread?

dude no matter what you should always be proud of who you are. you should have stuck with it

I believe you. It doesn't matter lad, she's still your best friend

Tell her again. Laugh for two seconds then say it seriously

Well I wouldn’t be too angry with your friend if she thought you were joking at first, especially if you guys are so close. But you should be open about it, if she is your true friend, she should have no problem with that. After all, your sexuality is as relevant to your personality as the colour of your eyes, meaning it doesn’t matter. When my best friend in college came out to me, she really struggled to bring out the words, I was really confused for a few minutes and my response to her once she said it was: “is that it?” She was surprised that I didn’t see it as a big deal and that it was not changing the way I cared for her. So ask yourself, what are you afraid of? Because a true friend won’t and shouldn’t care.

While I understand not caring about your friend's sexuality you shouldn't have replied in such a dismissive way. The thing is that her sexuality DOES matter to her. It's a part of her identity although it doesn't define her. Also, for a lot of gay people coming out of the closet is a pretty big deal for them and it takes a lot of courage. So hearing "is that all?" after you've built up all this courage and decided to take what you may feel is a big step can be a bit disheartening.

I know. My comment was about #20 and her friend

I'm struggling to understand why she found that funny

TheDrifter 23

Tell her again tomorrow. She likely either thinks you're joking or just needs a moment to rearrange her interpretation of your social interactions. After all, since 95% of the population isn't LGBTQPA it's likely she just assumed you to be straight.

I think it is supposed to be IA, maybe?

kewpiesuicide 29

Where I come from, the A stands for 'ally' but asexual makes more sense. And I'm pretty sure the LGBTQ community makes up more than 5%. Most girls are bi, FTMs (trans men) generally pass very well for biological males and there are still a ton of people in the closet. Sexuality isn't black and white, which puts most of us somewhere on that scale.

Sorry bud.. But try again and don't give up