By disappointed - 23/09/2011 03:08 - United States

Today, after having saved up my money for months to buy my college-bound son the car of his dreams, I got a phone call telling me it had been totalled during a drag-race. I only gave him the keys two days ago. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 257
You deserved it 14 115

Same thing different taste

Top comments

CrassKal 27

I seriously hope you knocked his dumb ass out. And that you had insurance.

Comments

YDI for buying a teenager a good first car (assuming you're not a millionaire). You should have bought him a crappy bomb that only starts half the time - then he either wouldn't have got it going fast enough to drag race, or he would have still crashed but it would have only cost you a few hundred dollars. Or else you should have made him work at McDonalds to so that he could buy his own car and appreciate the value of whatever he eventually bought.

physicist48 0

You have to buy your kid something you can count on starting. Why is no one blaming the kid for being a moron?

@192: You don't HAVE TO buy your kid anything. I paid for my own first car - although my parents did LEND me some of the money towards it, but I paid them back from my part time job. And lo and behold, I didn't go drag racing, because I needed the car to get to work and knew that if I damaged it, I would be up shit creek without a paddle. OP's kid just needs to be taught some responsibility for his own actions. I certainly hope the OP does not buy the kid another car - that will just reinforce the kid's idea that actions don't have consequences.

Getjynxd 2

Idk how many people have called OP dumb, idiot, etc etc but the base of that is they were prolly the ones with the busted up POS car that hated to see that kid in the parking lot n still do. My parents bought me my dream car and it was never wrecked, washed every week, detailed every 3 weeks, meticulously maintained and had over 400hp so it had no trouble racing. Materialism, some may not believe in it but we are all materialistic on a level. Who doesnt want their kid to look good and feel good, so he wrecked it street racing, shit happens n hes learned his lesson

hillhero 2

I wanna go fast! If you ain't first you're last

physicist48 0

College bound for where? University of Nebraska?

If you say the words, it's okay, I'm just glad you're all right' YDI. If you don't make him pay the insurance excess, YDI. If you replace the car before the start of college with anything other than a pushbike, YDI. Deepest condolences on your son being an irresponsible idiot.

michi23 0

Well thats what you get for spoiling your kids their whole life. They're not appreciative.

If it only took you months to save up for anyones dream car... Count your blessings, and be glad your son is safe, you probably had insurance and in a few months you can get him another car.

Epikouros 31

What did you think he was dreaming about doing with his dream car? Visiting his grandparents? Shopping for groceries?