By AngerManagement - 29/09/2011 08:04 - United Kingdom

Today, after being in the UK for 2 months, I learned that when saying, "I'm about to blow off and kill someone", to the British "blow off" means "fart." This was pointed out to me in an open-space office after a particularly loud rant. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 520
You deserved it 24 423

Same thing different taste

Top comments

FreakAZoidd 3

What does "blow off" mean in America? Sorry I've never heard that saying.

Comments

funnyfiona 0

I'm English ( unfortunately I live in Australia now) you should see the stereotypical nonsense they come up with! When I proudly told members of my class of my birthplace (During a class presentation) they've been going on for weeks now taking the Mick out of the London accent. Most of them don't know a bit about England. And act like apes when we have our history lesson about any other country but theirs. Talk about intolerance.

In Australia too, just FYI. I think the terminology would be blow up, as in explode in anger? Sounds like it.

Where I'm from in England that would mean you're about to perform fellatio on someone then kill them.

funnyfiona, I think that is true of every single country on Earth unfortunately. Stereotypes suck. Most people in other countries really don't know diddly dick about America, but they LOOOOVE to assume that we are all fat bastards. When I went to England and they found out I was American, no one I talked to could believe how thin I was. It was really eye-opening.

Llama_Face89 33

Blow off? There's a term I've never encountered before.

Cjmw 7

I'm from Scotland and I've never heard someone say 'blow off' in that term :o

And in my part of America "blow off" means to skip or ignore.. Not sure what OP thinks they're saying but if they were ranting loudly and threatening to kill people at work, they're obviously not the most intelligent person in the world.

Uraziel 5

Nobody even says that in America. YDI for being a retard.

I'm British and I have never once heard that phrase used to mean that.

To be honest I'm British and I've never heard 'blow off' used like that ( although I've never actually heard someone use the phrase 'blow off' before either) where abouts in the UK are you?