The Big Book of Baby Names

By please don’t - 08/06/2020 02:00

Today, I had to explain to my sister in law why it’s a terrible idea to name her baby Aryan just because she likes the way it sounds. We’re all African Americans, but she still doesn’t see the issue with it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 632
You deserved it 231

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I was thinking Enward. That would be awkward.

Comments

Name the baby WhitePower. Everyone will be completely confused!

One more of those perfectly proper South Asian names and symbols that Hitler and his Nazi cronies spoilt the meaning and connotation of, because they took inspiration from a racist, misguided ideology. But yes, it is a terrible idea to name a baby in the USA Aryan.

neverfind 20
Taylor Caldwell 10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_race

WOW is she really that dumb 🤦‍♂️

bl3ur0z3 17
Anon2000 12

I did & I got this hence why I didn’t see the problem, *member of the ancient Aryan people. "the Aryans brought Hindu religious thought to India"* But I now see another comment explained it means ‘white supremacy’

In your search you didn't hit on the Nazis and the Holocaust?

bl3ur0z3 17

Tell her your nicknaming the baby the n word. Then pray it doesn't come to that.

I was thinking Enward. That would be awkward.

Well, that's because you weren't looking Enward...

ojoRojo 27

I feel bad for that baby :(

Nitgritz808 1

Perhaps Narayan its and Indian name and very similar sound without the cultural baggage?

She can name her baby whatever she wants to.

No she can't. Depending on the laws of each individual state, certain names are banned. Elon Musk had to change his latest kid's name because California doesn't allow numbers in them, so instead of "X Æ A-12", it's now apparently "X Æ A-Xii". Not that doesn't make it any less stupid.

TinScarecrow 15

She can. You can scoot your butt across broken glass while chanting "goo goo gah gah" in an attempt to attract a mate, too, but that does not mean it's a good idea, or anything close to appropriate